Need a recommendation for replacing pump motor

yb99

Jun 29, 2011
San Jose, CA
I need to replace my single-speed WhisperFlo WFE-4 1HP pump motor.
The motor is 1.65SF on 230VAC.
The pipes are 1.5" and the pool size is 20,000 gallon.
I used to have solar panels, but since I removed them, I don't think I need such a powerful motor any more.

Can you please recommend a two-speed motor replacement?

The century B2982 motor is a good 2-speed replacement (or the B2982T which has a timer attached). Assuming you have no other water features that require high flow rates, another option would be to decrease the impeller size and go with an even smaller 2-speed motor (such as the B2980).

Thank you for the advice. How can I decide if I need a 3/4 or 1 HP motor?

My pool is 40 years old. I don't have any water features. The pool has two return outlets. The pool equipment is at ground level and 10 ft from skimmer. Currently I use robotic cleaner, but I may want in the future to go back to a skimmer pressure cleaner.

I am assuming you are asking if you should drop down the impeller and motor size down from what you have now?

If yes, then from the flow requirements you shared, you can probably get by with the smallest 2-speed available for your pump which is a 3/4 hp full-rated motor and save a little electricity. This is the century B2980 (or the B2980T with timer...or bobo's idea and then the EB2980T), . However this will also require buying the smaller 3/4 hp impeller, pentair part number 073127.

Additionally you will need to replace the shaft seal regardless if you change the impeller or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.