Need advice on Vermiculite Bottom (Pictures)

Nod

Jun 23, 2008
Nashville, NC
My PB was out today putting in the vermiculite bottom to my pool. They were very quick and took approx. 3 hours to complete a 16x32 8' deep pool. Anyhow, after looking at it, I see alot of trowel marks and it doesn't look that smooth. I am incorrect in thinking that the bottom should be smooth (like a home depot concrete floor), or is it normal to see these trowel marks?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

http://picasaweb.google.com/terryisnot/ ... 1475364290

http://picasaweb.google.com/terryisnot/ ... 1463774450

(Couldn't attach the pictures to the post)

Welcome Nod !

I finished a similar pool in my backyard this spring with a vermiculite/cement bottom. It's almost impossible to get it smooth like a concrete floor. As Duraleigh so eloquently put it - 'You think you have it perfect, and when the lights come on it looks like the surface of the moon.' Your install looks quite nice so far, with nice, crisp corners and angles. :goodjob:
That looks like a light niche in the deep end - I would expect to see some imperfections on the floor near the light when it's on at night. It's just the nature of this type of bottom. The bottom of my pool is not as smooth as yours and I only notice it at night, but it's still no big deal.

liner1.jpg

The orange you see is the wonderful Powhatan County clay that washed in during a heavy rain.

Now, go read the stickies for BBB so you are ready when the water goes in ! Looks like you are going to have a great pool. :wave:

Thanks for the info!

The PB was out yesterday and they smoothed out the bottom, dropped the liner in, filled the pool and backfilled. My soil is mainly a sandy mixture, and it was used for the backfill. The only issue I have now is that the PB wants to put the concrete over the sand backfill. There are no sono tubes, just the concrete supports on the pool braces that came with the pool kit. When I asked the concrete guy if I should be concerned of the ground settling, he said no because it was sandy soil and wouldn't settle much more.

So knowing that, should I be concerned. I thought about renting one of those plate compactors and wetting/compacting the sand. Any advice on that?

Just went through that myself. With a plate tamper, water and some patience. We watered a little tapped alot watered a little tapped alot. I did mine over the course of 2 weeks and had my concrete done on Tuesday. I didn't want to take any chances! Good Luck, with your new pool. It's looking good.

Nod, I will tell you what a friend of mine said to me when I complained about the pool bottom. You'll just have to let it go! :lol: When my floor was poured (it's the vermiculite as well...looked just like yours) it looked pretty good as far as I could tell. I guess the PB saw something I didn't and had his guys re-sweep, etc. Well, the first night I have the lights on - SHOE PRINTS! I tried to take pictures of it last night for you, but they didn't do justice. I just take another sip of my favorite adult beverage and look away! Night time is going to be the only time you see anything. Besides, you'll be too busy enjoying the pool to worry about it...promise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.