So what does everyone drive?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Well it is the off season for many of us, and while the pool is still there, it is not drawing the attention it might in the summer, so I thought I would ask, what sort of vehicle does everyone drive?

For me my daily driver is a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 (it was my present to myself last year for recovering enough from breaking my back (compression fracture of L2) in 2010 to fit into a car its size, on a plus side it has wonderfully supportive seats. After all one has to have some sort of goal when attempting to recover from an injury. I also have a 2000 F-250 SuperDuty crew cab diesel truck, which is semi-retired, but I use when I need to haul things, and it also served double duty as a daily driver that I could get in and out of while my back was recovering.

Ike

2011 Fusion with about 34k miles. Traded in my Intrepid with over 150k miles when it started acting up for something reliable. Just couldn't trust it enough anymore with the little ones in the back seat.

I wish I could have waited a few years however.........DANG the new Fusions look AMAZING! Looks just like Dave's hidden Aston Martin

I had and still have too many cars. I just sold my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, a truck I bought brand new. Sold it because I bought a 2014 Thor Four Winds motor home. Not my daily driver though. I'm proud to have a couple of Jeep Cherokees (XJs, the square body), one a 2001, one a 1998, the former has 168,000 miles, the latter about to hit 160,000. Wife has a 2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI (diesel), and I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler in the garage that's been completely modified as a rock crawler. Oh, and the 1967 Firebird. Trying to talk my dad out of his 1958 Impala as we speak. How many cars is that again? :)

duraleigh said:
Of course, I have an Aston Martin but to deflect attention, I have it cleverly camouflaged to look precisely like a 1997 Chevy diesel pick up truck with 170,000 miles.
:lol: I almost lost my coffee because of this! :mrgreen:

I have a 2012 GMC Acadia with about 30,000 on the clock and the wife has a 2011 Hyundai Elantra with about 22,500 on the clock. (They were both bought new so still low mileage)
Love the Acadia - It was always bought with the intention of keeping it 10 years and after 18 months of owning it, that's still the plan. It's the perfect compromise of size and drivability for me. I do use the Elantra to commute sometimes as it gets significantly better mileage than the Acadia. I like it too, though wish it were a bit bigger (probably should have bought a Sonata instead but it was the wife's choice and it's perfect for her).

I alternate between a 1995 Cherokee with 270K and a 2001 Wrangler with maybe 65K. The wife drives a 2009 Camry with 110K on it. That's the one we use on long trips, because it gives us generally 31 or 32 mpg if we use the cruise control. The Cherokke may yield 20 on the highway. The Wrangler goes from 16 at 65 to 14 at 75 or better. Not geared for the highway at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, Richard and I have something in common other than pools!

My Wrangler has 42" tires and 5.16 gears. NO HIGHWAY for it!!! (I still have a little more work to do on the current changes)

My 2001 Cherokee is on 31" tires and 4" lift, it gets about 16. The 1998 somehow is getting about 18. The Jetta gets between 40 and 48, depending on what we are doing.

TJ3_zps3a09c7b6.jpg

I have a 2012 Volkswagen Golf Mk6 GTD (Diesel) it's nippy, has torque enough to pull on a decent hill loaded down AND I have a long time fuel economy of 45 miles per US gallon. Mostly city mileage too, so could be better; on longer runs I can do 750 miles on a single tank. [edit] That's 52 mpg [/edit]

I'm amazed America doesn't drive more diesels.

You are right Steven. We should. Everyone has it backwards. Europe should drive more hybrids (city driving), Americans should be driving diesels. We love our SportWagen TDI. We can't get the GTD.

AdelaidePooler said:
I'm amazed America doesn't drive more diesels.

We are slow to use SWG too........often we're what you call stubborn. In my case however, we drive very little. The added few thousand for the diesel engine will take forever to be paid off in gas savings. Now if gas prices were to continue to go up and start to match Europe's prices I could see more people switching, but for now with our prices almost 1/2 of what it is overseas more people take the extra money, and toss it to the fuel pump.

That depends. For those that habitually get new cars every year or two, true. I had my 2006 Dodge for 7 years. Also, resale value is way higher on diesels, especially trucks. I paid $35,000 for my 2006 Dodge and sold it for $25,000. Go blue book a gas Dodge truck from 7 years ago. It won't be anywhere near that. Blue book on mine was $29,000+ BTW.

For sure Trucks are different.......cars' however just don't seem to hold the value as much. Then again however, for the most part the only mainstream diesel car in the states are VW's. Everybody else are trying to go gas powered with Turbo's.

Americans are too lazy to do math. Diesel fuel costs around 10 to 15% more per gallon currently, but MPG difference is usually around 30% or more for diesel compared to gas. All we see is the price difference at the pump.

RobbieH said:
Americans are too lazy to do math. Diesel fuel costs around 10 to 15% more per gallon currently, but MPG difference is usually around 30% or more for diesel compared to gas. All we see is the price difference at the pump.
True! The choice of diesels here is also a bit limited compared to model choice in Europe.

We have Audi, BMW, and MB diesels here. Chevy just released a diesel too. One you are forgetting is Jeep and Dodge. The Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel with the Italian 6 is out, the Dodge 1500 with the same engine will be out soon. We are considering the Grand Cherokee to replace my truck, but I may look at that new Dodge 1500.

I really would like to have the Toureg V10 diesel, but they are hard to find.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.