Purchasing kit overseas - extra reagents.

What test kit do you own or are ordering?

If it's the K2006 then I'd suggest extra R-0871 for the FAS/DPD testing. I'd also suggest extra CYA reagent, as you'll use that up quickly.

saltwaterpoolparts.com looks to be the same company as poolvacparts.com which has been mentioned in other threads with regard to getting stuff in Australia.

Totally agree with Leebo, R-0871 (FAS DPD) and R-0013 (CYA) reagents are the ones of which you should get extra.
Also, buy the largest size CYA reagent as it's double the volume for only $2 more and the shipping is, I believe, a flat fee.

I would suggest the K-2006 with the extra reagents noted above as the best idea.
I got the 2006C (larger reagents from the get go) because I got a good deal, but will still be getting more of the R0871 and R0013.

The 60ml reagents for TA, acid and base demand, are likely to go to waste as I don't use them as much.
The extra $45 of the 'C' kit would be better spent on the extra reagents. I got a 2006C for $75 otherwise I would have done the same!

If you have an issue with CH (I did) then that reagent (R-0012) goes down fast initially, but now I have sorted that, I don't see it being used as often. Even at a 350ppm CH you will get 12 tests out of the K2006 which should be plenty for the season.

To save reagent too for any CH test, use these directions from Taylor.

* When high CH is anticipated, this procedure may be used: Use
10 mL sample, 10 drops R-0010, 3 drops R-0011L, and multiply
drops in Step 4 by 25.

I would still use 5 drops however of r-0011 as it helps with the colors more, but for this test jumps of 25ppm are close enough 90% of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used 10ml samples on occasion, but even so I've been romping through it, as I've not been getting the expected changes, for a given Calcium addition (coming up low), hence I was testing a bit more than normal to make sure I wasn't making errors, adding more and then retesting etc...

However, that won't be afljafa's problem!

afljafa, Any pool has to be better than no pool!

It's not the size it's what you do with it, so my wife assures me. I think she's talking about my 4 burner grill, when I say I want a 6 burner and pizza oven, but anyway...

...mine is large but the landscaping is a mess and so it doesn't get the use it should. And the weather's only just got to 34C / 93F this week. So a bit chill yet for swimming.

The TF100 uses all Taylor reagents so the tests that are the same in both kits have identical reagents except for size when noted.

Same reagents work for both kits. The TF100 just gives you more reagent for more tests. If you can't get the TF100 (if you're down under) then these refills work just the same.

So I ordered the kit with extra reagents about three weeks ago from saltwaterpoolparts and it arrived today. My results where -

CYA 40
PH 7.6
Cl 6.0
CC 0.6
TA 110

For an inground vinyl pool using an ORP chlorinator. I had noticed a few algae spots on the walls earlier in the week so I did bump up the chlorine set point however up until now I have been flying a little blind.

First, I would suggest you use the 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD test and not a 25ml sample. This save reagent and make each drop 0.5ppm instead of 0.2ppm.

Given that you have previously seen algae, and you report a CC of 0.6ppm (which is more than 1 drop), that fails 2 of the 3 criteria and points to requiring the SLAM Process. Luckily, your CYA is reasonable, so you can get started right away. Note this process is usually done with the SWG off by manually adding FC using bleach.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Ok I will give it a go.

I had thought I was doing the 0.5ml test and only realised I was doing the 0.2ml test when I started getting up to 20 drops :oops: , wont make that mistake again. It has been hitting around the 40 C (114 F) mark this week leading up to Christmas and I don't have the blanket on because I haven't paved the roller area yet. I presume I don't need to touch the CYA as it seems right for the vinyl pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.