Rebar tied to Steel-tex - Does this look ok to you?

Loriot

Aug 29, 2013
Hello! I'm new here and am so glad to have found this community!

We have a new build in south Florida. As is typical here, the PB over-dug the hole, built a very basic frame and hung covered wire mesh ("steel-tex") as a form. He then put in rebar (#3 at 12"), but here comes the concern: the rebar is very close to the steel-tex form and tied to it without any spacer as they've put on the floor (see below).

Won't that result in the rebar being too close to the back of the wall of the pool rather than in the center??

I'm asking the PB too of course, but was hoping to get some additional, impartial feedback here!

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 214
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 208
Hey, Loriot,

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Using the steel-tex then the rebar is somewhat unusual.....I don't think I've seen that before on the forum. Nevertheless, I see exactly what you are talking about and your PB will likely have a good explanation.

Most rebar meshes I have seen are done up against bare dirt but most do seem to stand-off the dirt a bit to accomplish getting the rebar right in the middle. Honestly, I am not sure it is very critical but I do think the PB should provide you a common sense answer.

If there is a benefit, the rebar will be buried pretty deep within the gunite so the rebar protruding into the pool surface (which is actually somewhat common) should not be an issue

jasonknox said:
If my memory is correct you want no less than 1-1/2 inches between the edge of concrete and rebar.
Im not sure of the regulations in the US, but here in Australia, this is correct as the gunite will then protect the reo from corrosion.
Id highly doubt that the regulations would be too different in this regard.

Thanks to all who posted on this topic! I reviewed it with the PB and am satisfied that everything is being done to high standards. You can't be too careful...

Everything you see in the pictures above was buried in concrete today!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.