New exposed aggregate deck is cracked!

torchroadster

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
East Texas
We have a new pool - constructed in May, deck poured 3rd week of May. Just this weekend I noticed a crack in the exposed aggregate deck. The deck is only about 3 feet wide where it is cracked and the crack runs the full 3 foot width of the deck. The crack is about 1/16" at its widest point. The stress reliefs are about 6 feet apart in this area - they were formed when the deck was poured and then cut deeper after it cured.

I haven't contacted the pool builder yet - wondering about the best path forward or what solution I should push for?

1. Patch/seal?
2. Air hammer and re-pour the section?
3. Let it go and don't worry about it.

You can click on the images below to expand.

Almost all concrete will get some small cracks in the first few weeks or months. It's just part of the curing process when it cures and shrinks slightly. The question is how far and does it continue to separate over time. Did they put rebar or welded wire mesh in the forms when the poured? Was it poured over a solid base of compacted soil? If so, that should limit the amount that the cracks separate. You may want to just document it for now and bring it to the PB's attention, but I doubt he'll really do much about it unless it really gets bad. It really just happens with most concrete to a small extent. If they did not put any steel reinforcing in the wet concrete, that's another issue...

torchroadster said:
We have a new pool - constructed in May, deck poured 3rd week of May. Just this weekend I noticed a crack in the exposed aggregate deck. The deck is only about 3 feet wide where it is cracked and the crack runs the full 3 foot width of the deck. The crack is about 1/16" at its widest point. The stress reliefs are about 6 feet apart in this area - they were formed when the deck was poured and then cut deeper after it cured.

I haven't contacted the pool builder yet - wondering about the best path forward or what solution I should push for?

1. Patch/seal?
2. Air hammer and re-pour the section?
3. Let it go and don't worry about it.

Exposed aggregate is some of the hardest to repair. Short of taking out the 6 foot piece, any repair may end up looking worse. The only thing I can suggest is to epoxy the crack and spread similar colored sand over it while wet.

Feel free to complain to the contractor, but I can gaurantee that the answer is going to be "concrete cracks -- what do you want me to do about it? -- I can't prevent every crack...."

Steve

There are only two kinds of concrete...cracked and going to crack. A good concrete guy will attempt to control where the cracks occur by making control joints. Adding rebar will not prevent a crack it will only prevent the cracks from getting too bad. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse. Worse would be it one side moves up or the crack widens.

Thanks for all the advice - that's kind of what I figured, the repair may be worse than the crack. There is rebar in the deck. Hopefully it won't get any worse.

This is our second pool build (different house) and we had the exact some issue before. We didn't do anything about it and over 15 years the crack never got worse.

For all those who say it is GOING to crack, our deck is 25 years old and is very very bland. It has regular expansion joints and is nothing special. At the same time a large patio pad was poured with no joints. Probably 10x10. That too has not one single crack. Our soil is very moist and in fact one side of the deck sank in about 3 inches - but still no cracks. I'm astounded myself. I just figured I'd add that datapoint.

piku,

That's great that your concrete has not cracked, however, yours is more the exception than the rule. As you walk around, take a look at concrete. Most of it is cracked.

Installers generally place enough control joints to encourage the concrete to crack at the control joint. The second part is that the control joints have to be deep enough to make that location significantly weaker than the surrounding concrete.

BTW- How thick is your deck?

Kevin

Quote: "The deck is only about 3 feet wide where it is cracked and the crack runs the full 3 foot width of the deck. The crack is about 1/16" at its widest point. The stress reliefs are about 6 feet apart in this area - they were formed when the deck was poured and then cut deeper after it cured. "

This is a question I got in one of my college class exams and when I was taking the architectural exam- Control joints A) prevent concrete from cracking B) control the location of concrete cracks C) allow the concrete to expand and contract. The correct answer is of course B. As the others said, tiny cracks are normal in concrete and are to be expected. Well-placed control joints will allow the concrete to crack along the joint where it will not be noticed. Control joints should be located at regular intervals AND in places where you would expect the concrete to crack. In your case since your decking is reduced to a 3' width there, that is a prime location for a crack to form and unfortunately they did not place a joint there and you've got a constant reminder of why they should have! There's no loss in integrity or anything that you need to worry about, it's just an aesthetic issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.