Entire Pool build

JonnyB

Nov 23, 2013
Central Texas
I first will say I have been a lurker on this site for over a year now. I thought it was time to post up my pool build. This wasn't our first pool but it was the first pool build we have experienced. We started looking for builders in November 2012 and found a builder in February 2013. April 19th was the day we broke ground. I have many picutres (over 500) that document the build but will only show 37 to keep it as short as I can.

Lime stone was on the ground so the entire build was using a breaker

after two weeks of house rattling forms are up

Most of the rebar

Plumbing completed

Gunite, Texas Gray Lueders for coping, Texas mix for spa, and Marcelo putting up 6" NPT tile

Decking. We are on a PUE. The walkway and pool are right on the PUE line

Natural Concrete with salt finish

Equipment installed

Quartzscape French Gray and pool filling

18 yards of Sandy Loam as base

After the sandy loam the entire landscape was done by myself. I did rent this fun little machine. That day we got 6" of rain and the pool got close to overflowing. The first time I used the backwash hose it blew up in my face. I used this dingo to move 35 yards of rock. 13 yards of mulch and 9 yards of top soil.

Because of the PUE and unable to put decking on that side of the pool I put down 35 yards of Llano River Rock

redoing sprinkers, and hardlining the backwash

being in a flash flood prone area I had the decking guys install two 4" pipes under the walkway I also installed the backwash pipe to the drainage pipes

Backwash glass installed and works!

mulch beds and 2" of premium top soil for the grass

3 pallets of St. Augustine Palmetto

Grass, The Texas Mix looks out of place in these pictures. The reason I used Texas Mix is because on the front of the house it has texas mix flagstone. Just not in the back

Mackenzie enjoying having her backyard back

Divin Dave said:
Nice work on that landscaping. Very nice! If my pool ever gets finished, which hopefully will be sometime next week, I will also be doing all of my own landscaping. Every inch of it by myself.

Thanks! I had many delays and mistakes that set the pool build back. Doing your own landscaping is extremely satisfying! Knowing that its all up to you. Your no longer relying on or in my case just hoping they show up. Everyone asks if I would do it all over and of course I would. I did all the work in 100+ degree days and would do it all over again.

Here is my list of headaches from the pool build.

1. Pool layout on ground was wrong. Should have been 8' from fence and was 14'. Pool builder didn't believe me.
2. Excavator dumped too much rock in the pool before rebar where the pool should have been 4.5 feet it was 18" again I was wrong.
3. Decking was installed into the PUE even tho I had a landscape line up to show the PUE and not to go into it.
4. Rebar decking was not tied together so failed inspection on a Friday. Concrete guys never showed SO ended up spending that Sunday tying up all the rebar to pass the Monday inspection (yes my work passed)
5. Pool builder called in for the wrong inspection and concrete was almost poured. If I didn't look up the permit the concrete would have had been removed.

I have more little things but those were the big issues I can think of.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.