New SWG and pH is on the rise

steve1969 said:
Last night I bought a gallon of 31.45% muriatic acid and poured one quart into the skimmer (to lower my pH down to 7.2 from 7.7 or 7.8). My TA was 120. I also pointed the jets up at the surface for aeration and went to bed. This morning, the pH is still 7.8 and the TA is still 120. Does muriatic acid take a while to affect the water? I wouldn't think so. My CYA is still 80, FC = 3.5 CC = 0, salt = 3200. Everything seems in line except TA and pH are high and didn't seem to want to go down with the acid. Any suggestions?

NEVER pour muriatic acid in the skimmer, either pour it slowly in front of a return so it mixes or predilute it in a 5 gal bucket of water and broadcast that into the pool. The TA lowering process needs to be repeated over and over until the TA drops. At first it seems to have no effect and then you start to see things moving. Did you test your water about 30 minutes after adding the acid? If not you might not have lowered the pH as much as you think you did.

I didn't check pH after adding the acid last night. I will try that tonight. The pool calculator says 32 ounces for my pool (one quart) to lower pH from 7.7 to 7.2. If TA only drops by -8 with this addition, I'm going to need a lot more muriatic acid to drop my TA by 50ppm. Here are my questions which I'm still slightly confused about:

How long after adding the acid can you swim in the water?

Will the pH keep rising back up on its own?

What is the aeration doing?

Should I be adding acid more than once a day?

Thanks for the help. My pool was trouble free for the month of May. I balanced the water perfectly for the SWG, turned it on, and boom - the pH rose. Other than that, everything is still cool.....

steve1969 said:
I didn't check pH after adding the acid last night. I will try that tonight. The pool calculator says 32 ounces for my pool (one quart) to lower pH from 7.7 to 7.2. If TA only drops by -8 with this addition, I'm going to need a lot more muriatic acid to drop my TA by 50ppm. Here are my questions which I'm still slightly confused about:

How long after adding the acid can you swim in the water?
Depends in part on how low you make the pH. If you are only making a small adjustment wait about 30 minutes and test the pH. If it's in range then swim.
Will the pH keep rising back up on its own?
In most pools, yes
What is the aeration doing?
Aeration speeds up the outgassing of carbon dioxide from the water. In English this means it makes your pH rise without making the TA rise.
Should I be adding acid more than once a day?
If your pH is rising that fast and you still haven't reached your TA then yes. Monitor the pH and when it gets above 7.4-7.6 drop it back down to 7.0 and retest the TA.
Thanks for the help. My pool was trouble free for the month of May. I balanced the water perfectly for the SWG, turned it on, and boom - the pH rose. Other than that, everything is still cool.....
This link might be more helpful to you than the pool school article.
how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html

Thanks Waterbear - you know I read that post of yours on how to lower TA about two months ago when I first found this website and was converting from Baquacil. I even printed it out. Of course, it's in a drawer somewhere and I forgot about it....

At the time, I had bigger fish to fry converting from Baquacil to chlorine.

Thanks again.

Well, I did a full set of numbers this morning.
PH 7.2
TA 80
CYA 65
FC 3
CC .5
CH 220

Looks like I've done some good getting into the recomended range on everything.
I'm still making bubbles with the jet to try and get the PH moving up some.
It's taken me a week to get the TA from 120 down to 80 using a Gallon and 1 Quart of acid total.

I'm a few days behind you I think - I've only put in two quarts of acid and even though my pH dropped to 7.2 last night (and back up to 7.5 already this morning), my TA test still took 12 drops to turn red. It might be 115 or so, but still hasn't really made a move down from where I started.

Post again in a few days - I'd like to know if your pH stabilizes now, or if this is going to be a constant battle with the acid...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, skipped a day of testing.
Today got these #'s
PH 7.4
FC 1
CC .5
TA 75 I'd say. Almost turned at 7 drops.

Now that this is about lined out I need to work on the FC numbers I've been getting.
After reading alot of posts on here I think I need to shock the pool one good time.
We never did shock it after getting it going and we had to wait a week before the SWG got going because the first one we had didn't work. I'm going to do that this week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.