Wiring Pool Fill Valve to a Hayward Prologic

Mar 16, 2013
Houston, TX
First of all, I would like to thank everyone on this forum that has helped me keep my pool in perfect condition from day 1 - the pool has truly been trouble free. The only thing that surprises my pool builders more than me telling them about using bleach instead of trichlor is how crystal clear the water is! But onto my question...

My pool builder installed a manual pool fill valve that adds fresh water through a knockout in the skimmer. The fill valve is a 3/4" PVC pipe and has a plastic ball valve that turns it on and off. After overfilling the pool by forgetting to turn off the valve for a couple of hours, I have tried to find a semi-automated solution to actuate the fill valve.

My original plan is to use a 3/4" inline valve for irrigation systems (which is controlled by a solenoid) and wire the solenoid to the Hayward Prologic Board.

I bought the solenoid (here is a picture of the valve and box): [attachment=0:1m08i0ug]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385228954.018584.jpg[/attachment:1m08i0ug]

The solenoid is rated for 24VAC. I don't know where to connect the solenoid wires to the Prologic. I saw there are connections on the far upper left corner of the board, but they give 24VDC (I think it would burn out an AC solenoid). I still have 3 open AUX relays and 2 open Goldline valve actuator connections.

I don't know if I can wire to my sprinkler system control as a) all the zones are already filled and b) the controller is far away on the other side of the garage.

I have heard of people using the Hayward prologic system to actuate pool fill valves, but I just don't know how to wire it into my system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385228954.018584.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385228954.018584.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 115
You will need a separate 24 VAC power supply to use with the valve. You can then connect it through the relay on Aqualogic to power the valve. But do not try and use the 24 VDC relay control lines of the Aqualogic. That will not work.

Got it. I ordered a 24VAC transformer (the ones typically used for HVAC relays) and will install it to one of the AUX relays. Thanks!

---EDIT---

Actually, one more thing. When I wire the transformer, should I wire it after the GFCI socket so the transformer is also protected with GFCI? Or is just a standard connection to the breaker acceptable?

Code probably requires a GFCI but you can check with your city's building department. But only the primary winding is actually protected with a GFCI unless a short occurs in the transformer. Code might also require a pool isolation transformer since this water line is feeding the pool.

On additional thought. Have you considered installing an autofill bucket? They can be placed almost anywhere as long as the elevation change is not that significant to the pool. This would automatically fill the pool to a set level without any power or electronics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.