Motor replacement on almost new pump

You should usually replace the shaft seal whenever you install a motor.

What exactly are you changing? You can not just put a smaller motor on the pump, you also need to put a smaller impeller on or you will just burn up the motor.

Actually, yes. If you put a smaller impeller on your existing motor ... that is almost the same power reduction as you would get replacing the impeller and the motor with smaller sizes.

Thanks,it's a good thing I check with you experts before I do something stupid. Because I wasn't sure how small I could go I was going to replace the 1.5hp with a 1hp and if that wasn't enough I was then going to go down to a .75 impeller.

When replacing the impeller on a almost brand new pump is there anything else I need to replace? (Like seals, o-rings, ect). Also is it a ferry simple task?

Thanks
Daren

Actually, since you will not be removing the motor now from the housing, you should not need any new seals.

You just have to split the pump (4-8 bolts) and will see the impeller, then you need to take the rear cover off the back of the motor so you can grab the shaft to keep it from spinning and then unscrew the impeller and screw the new one back on.

Great thanks. Now the very last question. I have 1.5 Hp that am putting the .75 impeller on. Now let's say in 10 years the motor needs replacing, can I put a 1hp motor on?

.75hp is not available in a 2 speed

Daren

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have finished exchanging the 1.5 hp impeller with a .75 one. I can 't test to spring but expect all will be well. Thanks for every bodies help. The reason for this change, besides that the flow was too great, was to save as much energy as possible. How does running a 1.5hp equal running a .75hp?

My guess is that less resistance = less energy. Would that be correct? Otherwise I would probably look for a smaller motor. Again thanks for all of the valuable info.

Daren

Your sig says a 1 HP Superpump. Was the original pump a 1 HP or a 1.5 HP?

Yes power consumption goes down and from a 1.5 to a .75 HP Superpump, power is reduced by about 40% and flow rate about 25%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.