New Pool Owner - Finished SLAM, Now on to Stain ID/Removal

Nov 22, 2013
Visalia, CA
My husband and I bought a house with a pool built in the 70s with what appears to be original plaster and equipment. We moved here in the middle of October. The local pool supply store guy told me I just needed to keep the chlorine at the right level and we'd be fine ... um, not so much.

We started with just a basic Chlorine/PH testing kit, and it's been a struggle to keep the chlorine in the ideal range. It seems to be eaten up faster than would be expected given our weather conditions, etc.

I noticed brown staining in the pool when we moved in and wasn't sure/still am not sure what it was.

Not too long after we moved in, we noticed that the Polaris pool sweep and the pool filter weren't working as well as they should and pretty soon they both stopped working at all. When we opened up the filter we found it absolutely 100% clogged with DE and yew tree needles and the filter screens themselves were all torn up. Got it cleaned up and new filter grids in place and everything seems to be working well again on that front, but they were out of commission for almost a week.

So as you can imagine, during the time when the filter was underperforming and we had no pool sweep function, black spots developed in the pool. Local pool supply guy had me try a copper algaecide along with frequent brushing. He said to keep the chlorine level very high which I was unable to do... it was consumed so quickly, and I wasn't checking/replenishing it often enough. So we still have black algae plus some blue staining from the copper.

In frustration, I started doing some reading here and decided to order the TF-100 test kit. It arrived yesterday and I tested the water this morning.

My results:

FC 2.5
CC 1.5
TA 120
CYA 95
CH 950

Other random facts in no particular order:
[*]I'm in Central CA and the weather has been in the 50s and 40s at night, 50s-70s in the day lately.
[*]I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have a 18 month old and a 5 year old and do my best to do daily maintenance daily, but sometimes it's more like every other day.
[*]I've been finding white crystals in the bag of my Polaris -- I'm guessing this is related to the high CH levels?
[*]There are two large yew trees near the pool and their needles get blown in frequently. I added a sock to the skimmer basket to keep these from getting into the filter in the future.
[*]I'm finding a lot of dead bugs (gnats, bees, flies) in the pool and skimmer basket/sock when I do my daily/every other day cleaning.

Thoughts and suggestions please?

Re: New Pool Owner

Hello, and welcome to TFP!

I am 99.99% sure you have an algae issue. The black spots are most likely black algae, and I'm betting you also have regular algae in the pool. That CH is very high, and if your pH is off too, you will have scaling.

Black algae will feel waxy and turn dark green if you scratch it off with a fingernail. To remove it, you will need to follow the SLAM process outlined in Pool School at the top right corner of this page, AND you will have to scratch it off the surface of the pool. I recommend a small wire brush for removing it. A regular brush or even a pole mounted wire brush practically never works.

Can you post some pictures of your pool? If that plaster is really that old, most likely you have pitting at this point, something black algae loves.

What are you using for chlorine additions? If you are using Cal Hypo (power powder plus), you need to stop immediately. This adds to your CH issue.

Does your brown staining look like this?

5_zpsfcac6cae.jpg

RobbieH said:
Hello, and welcome to TFP!

I am 99.99% sure you have an algae issue. The black spots are most likely black algae, and I'm betting you also have regular algae in the pool. That CH is very high, and if your pH is off too, you will have scaling.

Black algae will feel waxy and turn dark green if you scratch it off with a fingernail. To remove it, you will need to follow the SLAM process outlined in Pool School at the top right corner of this page, AND you will have to scratch it off the surface of the pool. I recommend a small wire brush for removing it. A regular brush or even a pole mounted wire brush practically never works.

Can you post some pictures of your pool? If that plaster is really that old, most likely you have pitting at this point, something black algae loves.

What are you using for chlorine additions? If you are using Cal Hypo (power powder plus), you need to stop immediately. This adds to your CH issue.

Forgot to share the pH, it is 7.5 and has never gone out of range in the whole time we've owned the pool, I test it every time I test chlorine levels.

For chlorine additions, I am using liquid chlorine from the local pool supply store. The label says "sodium hypochlorite, 12.5%." I recently (within the past two weeks) added a 3" chlorine trichloro-s-triazinetrione tablet in a float the previous owners left to try to keep the chlorine levels more stable from day to day.

I can take some pictures today.

Re: New Pool Owner - Rapid Chlorine Loss - now with PICTURES

Your TF-100 results indicate the need to SLAM your pool. Pretty sure you have some algae brewing and you need to SLAM to get rid of it. read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School

The pictures of your pool surface looks an awful lot like calcium scaling.

I would treat the above as two seperate issues....first SLAM the pool and get your pool algae free and balanced.

Once that's done, we can help with identifying and removing the stains on your pool surface.

Re: New Pool Owner - Rapid Chlorine Loss - now with PICTURES

Did you perform the OCLT which confirms the SLAM is complete? Post those ending numbers so we can help advise on the staining using those numbers.

If so, time to let that rest and start working on the stain. Keeping it right here is often very helpful so folks can reference back all the posts and gain more insight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool Owner - Finished SLAM, Now on to Stain ID/Remov

Yes, performed OCLT to verify SLAM done.

Didn't do full panel of testing this morning, just FC and CC:

FC: 38.5 (it was 38.5 at sunset yesterday also = OCLT of ZERO!!!)
CC: 0.5
Water is clear.

Results from other tests are from 11/22/13, so a few weeks old at this point, but I will post them as reference in case they may not have changed much if at all:

CYA: 80
CH: 950
TA: 125

Here are some updated pictures:

DSC09602.JPG

Full pool from east

DSC09603.JPG

Full pool from west (on top of the diving board :))

DSC09604.JPG

View of drain and biggest areas of brownish staining

DSC09601.JPG

DSC09605.JPG

Two views of the black spot on bottom of pool

DSC09606.JPG

Black spot under water return (and black staining around water return)

Re: New Pool Owner - Finished SLAM, Now on to Stain ID/Remov

Absolutely. That the stains apparently didn't change AT ALL during the SLAM would indicate they are not organic. I'm almost sure of it.

What I think you have is calcium scaling. It can be removed in different ways......

1. VERY slowly (years) through pH control and doesn't always work.

2. Secondly through an acid bath of your pool which many folks have reported pretty effective.

3. By draining the pool and doing an acid wash.....it's the quickest and probably mots effective but obviously the most expensive, too.

There is an article in Pool School on calcium scaling which will give you more information so I would start there and then ask questions after you have read that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.