Mosquitos

Chad628

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
This morning after two days of our first rain storm of the season I went to test my water in my pool and had the following results:

FC 5
CC 0
ph 7.6
TA 70
CH 380
CYA 50

On the surface of my perfectly balanced water was a layer of THOUSANDS of dead mosquitos floating around as well as a thick layer of them in the skimmer basket. Has anyone every had this happen? Why would mosquitos by the thousands be attracted to my pool water?

This is just a guess, but you say your pool was re-plastered this year, if I am not mistaken fresh plaster gives off CO2 (I may be mistaken on this ChemGeek where are you?) CO2 attracts mosquitoes, it is how they locate dinner, follow the CO2 trail to their victims, so maybe they thought your pool was food.

Ike

p.s. had you recently added Calcium Carbonate to your pool? (same effect)

I did not add calcium chloride but yes my pool was re-plastured at the beginning of the year. This is the first time it has happened. The only unusual thing about yesterday was that we had our first rain storm of the season. I don't have any other standing or stagnant water on my property either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.