LQ and Pump Drain Plug

kmb997

Jun 13, 2007
New Orleans
I just read through all the LQ threads I could find for information on how to connect the LQ to the pump's drain plug. The only thing I saw was something about 1/4" barb tubing connector. Sorry if I missed the thread that has already described this, but could someone explain this more? Are all pumps the same? If not, can I bring the plug with me, to the store, to figure out what size adapters to get?

Thanks

I read about your LQ problems, did you get everything figured out? Are you having any other trouble?

I will bring my plug with me and see what I can find. All I need is an adapter that screws into the drain plug and an adapter that will fit the 3/8" od tubing?

Thanks

The saga continues. I have many issues.

My pool due to a large bather load and direct sunlight requires alot of chlorine. I have removed all the valves and flow meter and have replaced the flow valve with a larger diameter style. I am trying out 12% chlorine and if I can not maintain my FC then I plan to remove the LQ. I should know if it is gonna work soon.

The white deposits really restrict flow and it is kinda a pain in the neck to clean when this happens. I might be back to pouring chlorine into the pool every other day. No big deal. I use my tablet chlorinator when out of town.

I will keep everyone posted and report in the other thread I started with my results.

The plug I use screws into the drain plug, then fits inside the hose (1/4" ID) as opposed to over the hose (3/8" OD). I picked mine up at Home Depot in the section where the rubber tubes are, it comes in one of those little baggies. I also picked up new flow control valves in the same section that fit over the hose (3/8" OD).

kmb997 said:
I picked up some adapters and a new flow control valve, but never got a chance to install. I'm probably going to get rid of my Liquidator, anyway.

Thanks

Since your post doesn't tell us about any specific problems I assume you haven't installed and ran it yet, so if I were you I wouldn't hurry up and dump it.
Granted, some of the LQ's hardware components are second or third class and oftentimes they require an upgrade or tweaking, but most of the times the machine does what it is supposed to do.
As to your adapters - don't use brass!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW I added the screw in barb fitting to my Doughboy *pump drain plug* for the output on the LQ, and it wouldnt suck the chlorine out of the LQ. It actually pushed water into the LQ.

When I was initially filling the LQ and there was no liquid at the output float level inside the LQ unit, I pulled up on the float and water started to drain into the LQ, when it should have sucked air into the line.

You may want to check yours after you started to fill the LQ with water upon start up, before the water level gets up to the output line. Im glad I seen this before it filled all the way or I may have been lost! LOL

If yours has water coming into the LQ, then you may want to put the screw in barb fitting on the pump strainer drain, or the suction side of the plumbing, so that it will create a suction.

Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.