Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LQ and Pump Drain Plug

1. Back To Top    #1

LQ and Pump Drain Plug

I just read through all the LQ threads I could find for information on how to connect the LQ to the pump's drain plug. The only thing I saw was something about 1/4" barb tubing connector. Sorry if I missed the thread that has already described this, but could someone explain this more? Are all pumps the same? If not, can I bring the plug with me, to the store, to figure out what size adapters to get?

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LQ and Pump Drain Plug

Your right. The pump plug sizes vary. Take it with you and find a match that has an adapter to connect to the 3/8" (OD) tubing.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I read about your LQ problems, did you get everything figured out? Are you having any other trouble?

I will bring my plug with me and see what I can find. All I need is an adapter that screws into the drain plug and an adapter that will fit the 3/8" od tubing?

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

4. Back To Top    #4

The saga continues. I have many issues.

My pool due to a large bather load and direct sunlight requires alot of chlorine. I have removed all the valves and flow meter and have replaced the flow valve with a larger diameter style. I am trying out 12% chlorine and if I can not maintain my FC then I plan to remove the LQ. I should know if it is gonna work soon.

The white deposits really restrict flow and it is kinda a pain in the neck to clean when this happens. I might be back to pouring chlorine into the pool every other day. No big deal. I use my tablet chlorinator when out of town.

I will keep everyone posted and report in the other thread I started with my results.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The plug I use screws into the drain plug, then fits inside the hose (1/4" ID) as opposed to over the hose (3/8" OD). I picked mine up at Home Depot in the section where the rubber tubes are, it comes in one of those little baggies. I also picked up new flow control valves in the same section that fit over the hose (3/8" OD).
    Pool Details:
    - inground vinyl liner, approx 35,000 gal; Hayward DE-6000; Pentair VS3050
    - 600sq ft Heliocol; Blue Diamond; 8 Gal Liquidator
    - TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I picked up some adapters and a new flow control valve, but never got a chance to install. I'm probably going to get rid of my Liquidator, anyway.

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kmb997
    I picked up some adapters and a new flow control valve, but never got a chance to install. I'm probably going to get rid of my Liquidator, anyway.

Thanks
    Since your post doesn't tell us about any specific problems I assume you haven't installed and ran it yet, so if I were you I wouldn't hurry up and dump it.
    Granted, some of the LQ's hardware components are second or third class and oftentimes they require an upgrade or tweaking, but most of the times the machine does what it is supposed to do.
    As to your adapters - don't use brass!
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree. I was close to chucking my LQ but I think I have worked out the bugs.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

9. Back To Top    #9

What is the down side to using a brass adapter?
    Pool Details:
    - inground vinyl liner, approx 35,000 gal; Hayward DE-6000; Pentair VS3050
    - 600sq ft Heliocol; Blue Diamond; 8 Gal Liquidator
    - TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

What is the down side to using a brass adapter?
    chlorine doesn't like metal. (or maybe it's the opposite )
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    chlorine doesn't like metal. (or maybe it's the opposite )
    It's definitely the opposite They love each other so they react and the brass dissolves.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

12. Back To Top    #12

After reading about the LQ, I love my Rolachem even more.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

13. Back To Top    #13

FWIW I added the screw in barb fitting to my Doughboy *pump drain plug* for the output on the LQ, and it wouldnt suck the chlorine out of the LQ. It actually pushed water into the LQ.

When I was initially filling the LQ and there was no liquid at the output float level inside the LQ unit, I pulled up on the float and water started to drain into the LQ, when it should have sucked air into the line.

You may want to check yours after you started to fill the LQ with water upon start up, before the water level gets up to the output line. Im glad I seen this before it filled all the way or I may have been lost! LOL

If yours has water coming into the LQ, then you may want to put the screw in barb fitting on the pump strainer drain, or the suction side of the plumbing, so that it will create a suction.

Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!