Help needed with AZ flagstone - time sensitive

Sep 12, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
Hi,

We're planning on using Arizona flagstone for our coping, and have selected 'buff' color based on the sample our pb brought over.

When the stone arrived today it was much more pink then the sample. It looked a lot like 'Rosa' option we didn't go with. I know stone color will vary from batch to batch, but should it really look like the next color scheme? On the image attached, the small chunk is the sample and the large piece is what was delivered (the dark spots on stone is water, wanted to see what it would look like wet)

[attachment=2:3lwks2ex]WP_20131120_001.jpg[/attachment:3lwks2ex]
[attachment=1:3lwks2ex]WP_20131120_002.jpg[/attachment:3lwks2ex]
[attachment=0:3lwks2ex]WP_20131120_004.jpg[/attachment:3lwks2ex]

The PB says it will weather and turn darker over time. Is that true? How long does that take? I've had other flagstone in my yard, and its color did mute a bit over time, but it took a while, from what I remember.

Are there any treatments that would help mute the color?

Should I insist on different stone or live with a pink pool for a while?

Thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20131120_001.jpg
    WP_20131120_001.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 114
  • WP_20131120_002.jpg
    WP_20131120_002.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 114
  • WP_20131120_004.jpg
    WP_20131120_004.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 114
I don't think it changes color. If you don't want pink, then insist on different stone.

There is certainly variation, but I agree that looks like a completely different color.

Btw, you are not ever planning of a SWG system right? Not usually a good idea with natural stone.

Thanks for the quick reply... guess I need to plan a trip to the quarry to see what's there...

WRT to SWG, we are doing salt. The PB swears by the fact that he's done many pools w/ salt & stone, oldest being about 10 years, and haven't had any issues...

I've done a lot of reading on that subject and the opinions on it seem to be pretty evenly divided... might consider sealing it, as it would certainly make the stone look darker...

I think some stone is more vulnerable than others. Either way, I'd go to the quarry, or better yet the stone yard if possible. We went out and selected the pallets we wanted there. Maybe you can do the same or similar. Good luck!

garykli said:
Thanks for the quick reply... guess I need to plan a trip to the quarry to see what's there...

WRT to SWG, we are doing salt. The PB swears by the fact that he's done many pools w/ salt & stone, oldest being about 10 years, and haven't had any issues...

I've done a lot of reading on that subject and the opinions on it seem to be pretty evenly divided... might consider sealing it, as it would certainly make the stone look darker...
I've done the same and have gone with SWCG and a lot of natural stone. I would definitely recommend sealing it.

As for the color - I agree it looks different. It's your pool, if you're not happy insist they correct it for you.

Thanks for all the suggestions / ideas. The PB was cool about it and we're going o try to switch it to gold Idaho quartzite, if the cost of additional labor doesn't prove to be too prohibitive...

Anyone know how much more labor should I expect? Pb said he planned for 6 days of masonry work (3 guys), and quartzite will probably add 4 more... is that reasonable?

Thanks!

Well, maybe it is a whole lot harder. Four days sounds like a lot more, but if that's what it is, it may well be worth it. Rock that is mostly Quartz and very dense is certainly going to hold up better than many others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AZ flagstone will NOT "weather and darken" over time.....from what I can see in the pics, they shipped you rose flag, not buff.....

The only thing that typically darkens AZ flag is spilling a glass of wine on it when unsealed! :wink:

I've got flagstone patios on one of my houses....about the only weathering that happens to it is you can get an occasional "flake or chip" to lift up. Flagstone is kind of a multi-layered material.....and very porous....

I will say that locally it is not uncommon to see the 2 colors in your photos mixed into a patio design......it's not a bad look, but if you truly wanted more of a "uni-color" beige then I'd make 'em replace the rose'.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.