1st Winter - Haven't Closed

Nov 20, 2013
Live in IN. A few issues came up in the last month and we ended up not closing in August, September, or October. We also neglected the pool and ended up with black algae. We've killed the algae and now have a cloudy pool. We are wondering if we should just leave it open and run the filter to keep it from freezing, now that all the leaves have fallen and we've gotten them out of the pool.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Hopefully you have killed it all, but it sounds like you may have stopped short. Cloudy water may be a big sign that you aren't quite done. Also, black algae is notoriously difficult to completely eliminate. Sorry to sound negative, I don't mean too, but it hard to say and this is pretty common. Plus you're in a bit of a pickle of what to do with the winter coming on. Someone better with winter/closing issues will answer you properly on that. After the bump. Still, I strongly encourage you to check out the ABC's and the SLAM procedure in Pool School. The SLAM process talks about killing algae and other things in your pool.

You really need to get the pool closed. Temps are supposed to get really cold this weekend. Relying on the pump in a cold climate is very risky because a power failure of even a few hours could lead to big damage to your system.

I'd just close and resolve to open early so you can get it clean in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.