CH levels falling

kichi

Sep 2, 2013
Pool Size
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
All,

I recently bought a 40 year old house with a pool (I am assuming just as old). Not sure when the pool was last replastered. I find that the CH level falls by 100 ppm over a month. Is that typical? I am happy to keep adding Calcium Chloride but want to make sure this is not indicative of any other problems.

Thanks

Well, it certainly is a problem. Calcium doesn't go away...it accumulates. It indicates a leak in your pool or a HUGE amount of rainfall.

What is the current CH of your pool?

What is the CH of your fill water?

Do you have an autofill?

Thanks for the response. There is a small leak in my pool that I am working to fix. So maybe it is that.

Current CH is 125 (I had increased it to 250 about a month back). I have not checked the CH of fill water. I will try and do that later today.

No autofill.

Notice any staining / scaling on the pool walls?
What is the CH of your fill water?

Question to the peanut gallery: Scaling would cause the CH in the water to drop right? Although not likely possible in the amount being stated here ... more likely a leak.

I am using the Taylor kit recommended on pool school (k-2006?). There is some scaling on the pool walls. I was not sure since the calcium level was usually low. Isn't scaling caused due to high calcium levels?

Scaling is caused by a combination of high CH and high pH. Even with reasonable CH, if the pH got really high, you could have scaling.

But disregard all that, the CH would not drop that much for that reason. It is most likely related to your leak.

Thanks everyone. I went back and looked at pics for calcium scaling. I have stains on the pool wall, but don't think they are calcium related now that I have looked at the pics.

I think it is due to the leak, as all of you suggested. The good news is that I think I know where the leak is from. I will try and apply epoxy this weekend.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.