What to do after I refill my pool?

JT2006

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Southwest Arizona (Yuma)
Will be done with the acid wash tomorrow morning and wondering what I need to do when I refill the pool? I would assume I would test the water to get a "baseline" then go from there but I could be wrong? Anyone got any suggestions on what I need to do or what I should have on hand?

Thanks

I would run a full series of tests and dose based on those results. At a minimum, you will want to have bleach, granular CYA, and muriatic acid (MA) on hand. Just don't go over board stocking up too much on the CYA and MA unless your test results indicate a high need for either.

Took a water sample to Leslie's yesterday

FC - low (no reading given)
CYA - low
TA - 100ppm
PH - 7.6

So I bought all the stuff they recommended and followed the instructions they gave me to add it.

1. Added metal free
2. Added stain and scale remover
3. 4hrs later added 2 gallons of liquid CYA
4. Half and hour later added 2lbs of chlor-brite granular chlorine

So the last night we had a storm roll in and it rained HARD all night so I decided to use my test kit for the first time and test the water. I'm using the FAS-DPD kit from Leslie's recommended here

Here are my results:

FC - 8
CC - .5
PH - 8 (took 3 drops to lower it to 7.6)
TA - 160ppm
CH - 280 ppm
CYA - 42ppm
Used the Water Wheel and the Saturation Index is .6

Ok if I am right I know my FC, CC and PH are really high.. And TA is a little high as well.

I'm going to back flush the filter in the morning then do another test but I believe it will be the same result. What I'm confused about is correcting these parameters and where to go from here??

I would start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Secondly, you should really do your own testing and stay out of the Pool Store. The advice you get there will never match what we suggest and their testing will never match the accuracy you can get by testing your self.

So, the only pressing issue you have is the pH which you should lower to around 7.5 with the addition of muriatic acid. Use Poolmath to calc your dosage.

What does your water look like?

duraleigh said:
I would start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Secondly, you should really do your own testing and stay out of the Pool Store. The advice you get there will never match what we suggest and their testing will never match the accuracy you can get by testing your self.

So, the only pressing issue you have is the pH which you should lower to around 7.5 with the addition of muriatic acid. Use Poolmath to calc your dosage.

What does your water look like?

Thanks and I know better but just felt overwhelmed and took the easy route I guess :hammer:
$300 later and here I am lol!

Water is a little cloudy main drain is visible but barely

Thanks again :cheers:

Hmmmmm. Your test results do not indicate the need to SLAM your pool but I would suggest you do this to get that pool crystal clear.

1. Run your pump 24/7

2. Brush and vacuum as necessary. Backwash your filter if the psi goes up by 25% over clean pressure.

3. For now, maintain an elevated chlorine level of 8-10 ppm while you are doing ALL of the above.

You should see slow improvement in the water clarity over the next few days and your pool should sparkle soon after that.

Keep us posted. Test often and report your results.

As of this morning:

FC - 8
CC - .5
PH - 7.8
TA - 160ppm
CH - 280 ppm
CYA - 42ppm

I did a backwash yesterday and the pressure was initially down to about 15psi but this morning it was back up to 20?
Pool is still cloudy but only when I sweep it, there is alot of white dust almost like new plaster? Im planning to vacuum tomorrow and maybe backwash again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I backwashed again this morning. Think I added way too much DE the first time. Added the right amount this time and clean pressure is sitting right at 10 psi. I couldnt vacuum because my hose is junk. So I swept again until I can go get a new hose.

Test results:

FC - 2
CC - 0
PH - 8

Added the recommended amount of bleach and acid according to poolmath and I will test again a little later.

What to do while Im away?

Keep your posts under one topic because people need to see your history and test results if they are to help

I just refilled my pool after an acid wash and discontinued my pool service. I wanted to start off on the right foot so Im using a good test kit and the BBB method. Everything is balancing out well and the water is very clear.

My worry is we are leaving tomorrow for the holiday and wont be back until Sunday. Now that the pool is looking good and I've gotten off to a good start I dont want things to get fouled up.

The pool gets quit a bit of sunlight so I'm wondering if I should put some Trichlor tabs in the floater and put it in there while I'm gone? Should I be worried about the PH?

Thank you,

JB

I should put some Trichlor tabs in the floater and put it in there while I'm gone? Should I be worried about the PH?
That would work but I would rather see you combine that by elevating your chlorine up to about 10-12 with liquid AND add about 5 tabs to the floater.

The tabs slowly increase your CYA (that's bad) but four won't hurt too much assuming you are still at 42 CYA.

duraleigh said:
I should put some Trichlor tabs in the floater and put it in there while I'm gone? Should I be worried about the PH?
That would work but I would rather see you combine that by elevating your chlorine up to about 10-12 with liquid AND add about 5 tabs to the floater.

The tabs slowly increase your CYA (that's bad) but four won't hurt too much assuming you are still at 42 CYA.

Ok thanks, sorry about he additional topic just thought that question had to be in a seperate category.

I did test everything yesterday CYA is still at 42

There was also no change in the TA or CH levels

Thanks again.

I hope you all a a great Thanksgiving!

We just got home last night and I did a full set of tests this morning

FC - 4.5
CC - .5
PH - 8.0 (probably higher sample was real dark)
CH - 280
TA - 160
CYA - 45

going to Poolmath to see how much Bleach and acid I need to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.