Benefits of BBB method vs Traditional Pool Maintenance?

JonR77

Nov 17, 2013
Would someone be able to answer a few quick questions regarding the BBB method? We haven't started the pool build process yet, but are looking to do so in 2014. I 'm sure the pool builder we choose might recommend to us the traditional pool maintenance method (and try to sell us on having them maintain our pool for us).

1) cost - how much does the BBB method cost per month for chemicals vs traditional?

2) time - assuming we do it ourselves either way, how much time does the BBB method take vs traditional?

3) mistakes - how bad can we screw up our pool if we make mistakes while using the BBB method?

4) bleaching a vinyl liner - any concern with us destroying a vinyl liner by improperty adding bleach/chlorine? Is it easy to fade the colors if we do it wrong?

1. Overall it's cheaper because you don't spend a bunch of money on stuff you don't need, and you don't end up draining your pool to fix major issues.

2. Depends on your method. I use salt water chlorine generator, so less time for me.

3. This method is more forgiving as it doesn't introduce stuff into your pool you don't need.

4. All methods add bleach, so the risks are the same.

Thanks for the reply RobbieH. 2 follow up questions.

Would you recommend we start with the BBB method out of the gate, or let the PB get us set up and ready to go initially with their ways?

and

If we don't go with a SWG, are there good automatic chrlorine injection systems that are good to use?

1. Let the PB do his thing at first. Just watch what they do if you can. They won't do anything that will get in your way unless they make a gigantic mistake.

2. Stenner pumps are generally considered the best, a Hasa Liquidator second.

TFPC (formerly BBB) is a philosophy and not so much a method. The philosophy is YOU learn pool water chemistry (Pool School) and you learn what to put in your pool, when to put it in and why.

If there is a "traditional" method, I guess it could be described as "Just do what we tell you to do and don't worry about learning anything....we'll take care of it."

The investment you make in learning pool water management will pay you back 100 times over during the life of your pool.

I agree with Dave ... how do you define "traditional pool maintenance"?
The chemistry is the same regardless of the method.
With the TFPC "method" there is a level of understanding on your part and thus much less likely to get into problems.

I usually summarize it this way:
The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

If you have not already, read through Pool School to start to get an understanding of the chemistry. Regardless of your path forward, at least you will have some clue if you are being sold a bunch of bologna.
Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks for the info. I guess by "traditional pool maintenance" I'm referring to the stuff a pool company would sell you, in ready to use form vs buying the chemicals individually and only using what is needed. I'm guessing a lot of people who don't understand the chemistry of their pool just buy the pool company stuff and put things that aren't needed into their pool, which causes other problems down the road.

I have never owned a pool before so I'm learning all this for the first time. I've read through the links that Jason suggested and I'm starting to get a good understanding of things. Looks like liquid bleach is the way to go and to avoid the pucks and powders the pool stores sell.

Are there any automatic liquid bleach feeders or is it always a manual add in front of the skimmers each day? If I'm out of town for a week, I better have someone I can trust to test and add each day that I'm gone?

There are automatic bleach feeders readily available.

Once you learn your pool and it's needs, your substitute won't need to test at all but rather add the amount of bleach you tell him to daily or even every other day.

This stuff seems a bit ominous at first but it is the simplest form of GOOD pool water management there is.

It all begins with reading, asking questions, and then fairly precise testing and dosing....your pool will be pristine.

I use a bleach injection pump and it pretty much handles the addition of FC each and every day. I have to fill the drum with bleach once a month, and I test every day or every other day to make sure things are still where they should be. I wouldn't be afraid to leave it a week on it's own. If something did go wrong while I was gone, I know exactly what to do to fix it when I get back.

An swg would provide about the same reliability.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've read on the web that just adding bleach to the pool is not a good way to maintain a pool (possibly may deteriorate the shell), and also some people disagree with using baking soda and prefer to use soda ash. I'm also a beginner on the fence with the best way to care for my pool. Can you experts clarify some these points?

Also, is the bleach from the grocery store any different from the one that the pool stores sell? Besides the chlorine concentration.

Unfortunately, you've just repeated the biggest misconceptions that are out there about our method. My responses are below in blue....

altusfirst said:
I've read on the web that just adding bleach to the pool is not a good way to maintain a pool (possibly may deteriorate the shell), Whether solid forms or liquid forms, all chlorine turns into hypochlorous acid when it hits the water....bottom line, all forms work. It's the misuse of chemicals that is the problem

and also some people disagree with using baking soda and prefer to use soda ash. Baking soda and soda ash are used for two different reasons. Both can be safely used provided you are using them correctly

I'm also a beginner on the fence with the best way to care for my pool. Can you experts clarify some these points? Head over to Pool School in the upper right corner of the page. All the knowledge you seek is there. Seriously, there's a lot...expect to read a few times through.

Also, is the bleach from the grocery store any different from the one that the pool stores sell? Besides the chlorine concentration.Nope, that's the only difference.

And welcome to the forum!

I am in the process of building a new pool. We will be using the injection method for chlorine. You really have essentially 3 choices. The first is the tablet method which constantly adds stabilizer to the pool eventually causing a need for a partial drain. The second choice is the use of a salt water generator which is pretty popular, but may cause some corrosion issues long term (although the corrosion is disputed by some). Many people say that this is an almost set and forget it method once it gets dialed in. The third method is liquid chlorine either manually or using injection pumps. This method does not build up stabilizer. Also, it builds up salt slowly and takes an extended period to reach the salt level of a pool using a SWG and you can manage the salt level more easily if needed. The tablet method is out of favor. Therefore, your choice is really between the SWG and the liquid chlorine. I chose the liquid chlorine method because I thought it fit my needs. Good luck.

SWG doesn't build up salt. You just add it all in one big dose. :) The only corrosion issues are if you have soft flagstone, and that's still a debate. I don't have flagstone, so no corrosion issues for me.

I can tell you that the TFP way is the BEST way to go!

I HAD a pool that I ruined using the pool store. I had NO idea how to maintain it so trusted the pool store and their testing. I bought what they told me to and spent a LOT of money. After 3 years my CYA was SO high it ruined the liner-dry rot of sorts. The pool store just told me to drain a little of my water and it would be fine. My liner gave way and washed out quite a bit of my underpool sand. I could not do it again. It was SO much work and money. We just sold the shell and stuff.

WELL my husband really missed the pool. I had him research to see if he/I could learn how to care for the pool. He found THIS site! He shot me the link and I started reading and reading and reading! I bought a test kit BEFORE I bought the pool to make sure I could do it! Once I saw I really could do the tests I had him order the pool he wanted.

We BOTH love the pool now! SO easy and cheap!

Before TFP I spent at least $200.00 on average a MONTH!

After/with TFP I spend $16.09 every three weeks! That is how much my 8 gallons of chlorine costs. That is ALL I have to buy now!

So yeah! I can be done!

Kim

This is a partial quote from Chem Geek from the other thread and it summarizes what I have heard and seen-

"A wide variety of materials will corrode at very high salt levels. This is not an issue below the water line where salt levels are low. But above the water line splashout will evaporate leaving a salt residue. If salt accumulates in these areas for a while even more robust materials can corrode. In many areas rainfall is sufficent to wash the salt away. In arid climates you need to hose down the deck, and any other materials within splash range, occasionally."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.