I'm in need of some help...

Jul 19, 2013
Runnemede, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I just had a 21' round above ground pool put up and filled. The power is not run yet, so there is no circulation. I followed the Pool Math calculation and added 1 gallon of bleach and used the brush to stir the water around for about a half hour and this was just before dark. The next day, I had FC level at 10. I went to put the cover on and it did not fit. It's a mesh winter cover that is 18' and the box is marked 21'. Joy!

I'm now waiting for the replacement to come in and it probably wont be here for a couple days. The PB told me to put 1 QT of algaecide (Gave me Algi-Sea 10%) and 2.5 gallons of chlorine in the pool and cover it. Now, I've read Pool School and this just does not seem right to me.

Since there is no CYA in the pool due too no way to circulate it, my FC is at 0 after a day or two. If I stick with the level at 10, can I add the Algi-Sea also? I understand I would have to add about a gallon of bleach every day until the cover comes in. The Algi-Sea instructions say that for a 10,000 gallon pool, the initial dose is 26 ounces.

Suggestions?

You need to maintain the FC level to prevent anything from starting to grow, although 10ppm is VERY high considering no CYA in the water.

You could start floating some trichlor tablets which will help maintain the FC and be adding some CYA (although slowly).

The path forward kind of depends on what your plan is in the near term? Are just waiting for the cover on and then going to close it up for the winter?

So here's where I'm at so far...

Cover still hasnt arrived yet, so I went an picked up some liquid CYA since I dont have power run yet. Added 1 gallon CYA and 1 gallon bleach about 4 hours apart yesterday and mixed the water up by using the brush as a mixing spoon for about 30 minutes each time. What a workout!

My numbers at 12:45 yesterday afternoon:

FC - 9
PH - 8
TA- 90
CH - 80
CYA - 50

At 6:30 pm last night:

FC - 11
PH - 8
TA - 110
CH - 80
CYA - 50

At 8:30 am today:

FC - 10.5
PH - 8

At 8:30 pm tonight:

FC - 9
PH - 8
TA - 110
CH - 80
CYA - 50

According to the Chlorine/CYA chart, my shock level should be 20 since I am not running a SWG right now. I will be in the spring when I reopen. Should I add another gallon of bleach before I cover or am I good with the numbers I have?

As far as the PH - do I drop that to 7.4-7.6 before I cover or will that drop on its own?

If you are just going to cover the pool, I am not sure why you added so much CYA. Just maintain the FC in the recommended range and raise it to SLAM level when you get the cover.

Ideally you should lower the pH as well.

I added the CYA because it is a new pool and just filled. Prior to adding it, 1 had to add 1 gallon of bleach every 2 days because the level would be 0 by then. I'm hoping to have the cover by Monday.

It will lower when I open the pool in the spring and bring the water level back up. :)

Just to make sure I understand - raise FC to 20 according to the chart, lower PH to 7.4-7.6 and then cover until May. Right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.