Winter Cover Help

Nov 19, 2013
This is our first year with an 18 by 36 above ground oval pool. We bought it used and it came with two tarps for the winter. We put one on that was HUGE, hanging over the sides. We held it in place with rocks which kept it from blowing off but because it touches the water of the pool it filled with water and leaves and we had to spend a long time removing leaves and pumping the water off. We then put the second tarp on over the first with the same result, it filled with water. With Christmas coming we cannot afford to do anything different for this year but I would like to get some ideas about what we can do differently for next year so I can price out the options and be prepared. I do not have the time nor the desire to be outside getting leaves and water off the top of my pool. My dad insists that everyone who has above ground pools does this but I say NO WAY! So, what do you suggest for a work free cover? What about some things I can do this year to help? Do water bag weights work? I drove by our local pool place and their cover had water bags built in. Also, if I leave it the way it is am I going to have to worry about getting the snow off too? (I live in Michigan)

Thanks,
Alysia

Welcome to TFP.

Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. :( The "tarp" you have is most likely a winter cover. They look like a tarp.

You can buy a cover pump and put it on the cover to keep the water pumped off or you can just syphon it off once in a while. I use a water hose to syphon the water off ours. I also use a leaf blower to blow the leaves off the cover once in a while when there gets to be a lot of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.