Wiring 220 2 speed pump

drb

Sep 15, 2013
Buffalo,NY
Curious as to wire a 2 speed 220 pump correctly. My main concern is does a wire go to the neutral buss in the sub-panel?

Hayward 2 speed tristar has 3 wires, black (high), red (low), and white. I ran white to one of the 220 power, and black/red to the other power led via a switch. I also ran a wire(green) from the pump grind to the panels ground buss

Do a need a forth wire? I thought a wire went to the neutral buss in the sub-panel. I thought it was needed for GFI. I am I missing something?

I also wired the heat pump with only 3 wires, 2 power and (1) ground.

I am just setting things up and will have an electrian go tru it before I turn the juice on.

Any thoughts/help
Thanks
Daren

No there is no connection between the neutral and the motor.

How are you switching the speeds on the motor? Sounds like you added an external switch. If so, you would run one LINE directly from the breaker to the common terminal on the motor. The other LINE from the breaker would go to the switch and from the switch you would need 2 wires that run to the motor and hook to the High and Low speed terminals. You would also need to run a Ground wire from the ground buss to the motor as it sounds like you have done.

Sounds like you have done it correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.