Which is best SWG?

I'd like to install a SWG over the winter. Is there any consensus on which is the best? I'm thinking of getting the Pentair. Anyone know of negatives on its use versus other SWGs? Amazon sells the Pentair power center 520556 and the IC40 as separate units. Is this all that is required? Thanks for any input you can give.

Dean

You will hear pros and cons for all of them. If you want to go automation at some point, get all the same brand, like all Pentair. Pentair has great support, but be warned they are considering dropping support for items bought mail order, including Amazon.

docelect said:
I'd like to install a SWG over the winter. Is there any consensus on which is the best? I'm thinking of getting the Pentair. Anyone know of negatives on its use versus other SWGs? Amazon sells the Pentair power center 520556 and the IC40 as separate units. Is this all that is required? Thanks for any input you can give.

Dean

I have the Pentair IC40 SWG and yes, the power center and cell is all there is to it.
The controls and indicators are on the salt cell itself and covered by a tinted slide off plexiglass (or whatever type of plastic) cover.

jblizzle said:
Without full automation, isn't the Pentair limited to 20% output increments? This could make it more difficult to dial in the correct output.

yes - we have an IC-40 and Jandy automation. It is limited to manual selecting 20% increments.
The guy who spec'd it said the Pentair was enough better that this restriction was worth the tradeoff.
We have been able to keep FC basically OK, mostly.... we change from 20 to 40 and back every so often.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have been looking at the Aqua Rite and the Compu Pool as well as the Pentair. The Pentair says the cells are good for 10,000 hours, but I don't find any rating for the Aqua Rite or the Compu Pool. What have real-world user experiences been for these 3 SWGs? The Compu Pool is low priced, but I see a lot of negative reviews on Amazon's site. The downside of the Aqua Rite seems to be periodic replacement of the control board. I'd be interested if anyone has experience they could share.

Dean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.