Help dirt being recycled riught back into pool after vacum

Nov 16, 2013
Hello All,
I have an issue with dirt going right back into my pool as if the filters are not even doing their job..

I have an in ground plaster pool that is ran with an older Hayward type filter system, This old filter system does not have a bac wash mode on it. we have to take the filters out and shoot them with a hose. When we first moved in we could vacum a few times before having to wash out the filters. So when we noticed that the dirt seemed to pass right through back into the pool we got new filters. That didnt solve the problem.
Here are some specs:
Type: Hayward DE 4800
Pool size Small inground kidney shape. 20K gallons
50 psi (the gauge on top never worked)
96 GPM
48 SQ Ft
Filter motor Emerson 1081
There is a strange black handle from the pool motor to the filter that has an open and lock position on it. maybe I need to switch that to lock or open while vacuminging or while running the filter?

I will include the screen shots so you can see the dirt on the floor right after we vacumed and let the filter run for about an hour afterwards.
The signs on the back of the pool filter.
the general setup

All in all I need to know How can I get it to stop flinging out the dirt before I have a chance to wash the filters down? why is it that I have to wash the filters down right away after vacuming or else it get thrown back into the pool?? I t never did this when we first moved in.

Attachments

• Pool filter.jpg
    Pool filter.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 40
  • pool filter motor.jpg
    pool filter motor.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 40
  • pool setup.jpg
    pool setup.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 40
Re: Help dirt being recycled riught back into pool after vac

That black handle is the backwash valve. Leave it alone. If you move it, water will go backwards through the filter and out the waste line. You don't want the vacuum debris going into the grids. You'll never get it out.

It looks like you have a Diatomaceous Earth filter. First, the screens do not filter. They are just the bed for the filter medium. They will not filter stuff out by themselves. Second, if you had a torn screen, you would see more than just dirt blowing out the returns. You'd see a white cloud. All of which leads me to believe you may not be recharging your filter. Can you confirm that?

Also note, you will need a working pressure gauge so you know when it is time to clean the filter and replace the Diatomaceous Earth.

ok well we changed the filter and just bought new ones. I dont see anything inside of there that looks like a "Filter medium" I dont know what charging my filter is. Could you please explain what you mean? We just take out the cartridges and wash all the dirt off them. I included a link as to what they look like.. They all encase one another in a circle and there is no central filter. Even with taking them out right after vacuuming and washing them down dirt is still being shot right back into the pool before we can even get done vacuuming it.

Wow well I watched some videos on you tube and I see what D.E is and how that is a filter medium which causes dirt to stick.

I am going to post the links. if anyone has any more handy tips im all ears^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9yoczpMbtw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz97RnlATi0

Aluviel said:
ok well we changed the filter and just bought new ones. I dont see anything inside of there that looks like a "Filter medium" I dont know what charging my filter is. Could you please explain what you mean? We just take out the cartridges and wash all the dirt off them. I included a link as to what they look like.. They all encase one another in a circle and there is no central filter. Even with taking them out right after vacuuming and washing them down dirt is still being shot right back into the pool before we can even get done vacuuming it.

Wow well I watched some videos on you tube and I see what D.E is and how that is a filter medium which causes dirt to stick.

I am going to post the links. if anyone has any more handy tips im all ears^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9yoczpMbtw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz97RnlATi0
So does this mean you weren't using any DE?

If you weren't, and you are now, I suspect you're going to be amazed at how much clearer your water is.

Pressure gauges are cheap. Replace yours.

No for almost year we didnt use any.. no wonder it has been such a nightmare and uphill climb. Our old place had a new modern type of filter that didnt require anything like that. When we first moved here the pool was sparkling then slowly just got cloudy and constant dirt no matter what we did. Either way we did need new pool filters because some of them had big holes the size of a quarter. Yeah No wonder the dirt was being pushed right through and back into the pool. The filters needed to be coated and the back washing too.. that will be a Huge help.
I cant believe I wasted so much time asking on Yahoo. I Also want to say thank you for your kindness and patience. I have gotten so many smart remarks and nastyness and name calling from other places. You are an angel and I will pray God blesses you in a mighty way this week!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.