Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Public Pools Scare Me

1. Back To Top    #1

Public Pools Scare Me

Hey everyone,
    I was on vacation, then got hammered when I got back to work (should be working right now but had to get away for a second), but I've been wanting to post this since I got back...Sean or Jason, please move this if you want, I couldn't figure out where to put it.
    I went to the beach, a very very popular East Coast place, and saw the pool guy at our condo testing the water...so I started chit-chatting with him...he was a nice guy, but turns out he was the head of maintenance at this condo (big place w/lazy river, etc.)
    He seemed to have a handle on some chemistry, but relied heavily on his Taylor booklet and didn't seem to know some of the basic things I've picked up on here, and I'm no expert by any means. He told me he always passes the state inspections that they do for public pools, but alot of places in that area get shut down/suspended because they don't know what they're doing - WOW - and then I remembered the hotel pool in my hometown where a kid almost drowned last summer because they couldn't see the bottom OF AN 8' POOL to help him out
    By the way, he says that the state (where this condo is located) is moving the requirements from 6 to 10 (if I heard him right, I'm assuming 10 ppm CL?) for next season...that seems scary to me.
    Anyway, it made me appreciate this forum even more than I already do, and I did give him the address here, in case he wanted to get some more learnin' (as we say in VA)...nice guy with a good attitude, so I hope he checks us out.
    Anyway, public pools scare me even more now, so I'm going home tonight and kiss my water.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Public Pools Scare Me

Me too! It was easier when I didn't know any better.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been so tempted to bring my test kit with me on vacation. Wife never allows it to happen most likely because the results might not be in the families best interest.

I would like to see the test results publicly posted to know what we are subjecting our bodies to. We have regulations on food labeling, why not public pools?

For me personally, I won't let my family in any pool that I can't see the bottom of, ever.
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I was on vacation recently and the ranch pool (a lovely indoor pool at a guest ranch) was chlorinated with tablets. I knew this b/c I peeked into the equipment room and saw buckets of chlorine tablets. AAARrrrgh!

In that dry climate (West Texas) I'd be willing to be that the pool isn't partially or fully drained on a regular basis to knock down the CYA level. I wouldn't have gone near that pool if it hadn't been so hot. . .

AND when we first got there, the pump wasn't running!
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

5. Back To Top    #5

I never thought about it. Some of the pools I have let my kids get into really scare me now that I have read this forum. Taking the test kit in the future for sure now, no matter how clear the water is.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

6. Back To Top    #6

Next time we go to one of our outdoor pools, I'm going to bring some stuff with me and test the water. I'll still swim even if they aren't good, but I'd just like to know. The pool is outdoor and has a 12 foot deep end for the diving board and I can always see the bottom, so I guess that's good.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

7. Back To Top    #7

We went to Chincoteague Virginia this weekend for the Pony swim. Our campground that we have a place in has a pool. Of course I had just read this thread before I left. I took my daughter to the pool and I thought to myself, " I wonder if I could just sneak in here tonight and add a couple gallons " I will never be able to look at a pool the same again. :P
    Paula
    Baltimore, MD
    18' x 4' Intex Pool
    7600 gallons (pool calculator says?)