Water softener and impact to spa water

jewing

May 5, 2013
I just found out that water faucet I am using to fill my spa actually goes through my water softener first . I have 3 outside water faucets and the plumber told me only one is not connected to the water softener . What impact does this softened water have on my hot tub water since it has salt in it? Am I ok to use or should I drain and only fill from the faucet that is not connected. I have a pool too but we have a swg so I would think it would hurt the pool

The water softener just replaces calcium and magnesium with sodium. Unless you have a concrete/plaster spa or one with grout in between tile at the water line, then there is no need for calcium hardness in your spa so you shouldn't worry about it. The overall salt level won't be higher -- it will just be a different kind of salt (sodium instead of calcium and magnesium).

You might want to add calcium to get to 120-150 ppm CH to prevent foaming, but that's up to you only if you have a problem with foaming in the spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.