Pool Pump rattling noise

Mar 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
So this past weekend I woke up to a pool pump running dry. This had happened over a week's time a few days here and there. On monday, I noticed it was making a weird crackling noise. I turned it off to empty the basket thinking something was stuck. Still the noise continued. Ater some research I have found that its possibly the bearings or/and the impeller. Then I remembered the knowledgable community here so I decided to seek help.

So today I removed the basket to check the hole going into the pump...I felt a loose large ring just freely moving in there. Then I felt a smaller propeller like shape. which turned freely and wasnt stuck. I think the loose ring is what is making the rattling noise...

Anyways, I need advice on how to tackle this...I prefer to fix this pump as it was working great up until recently. My pool guy said its easier to replace it with a newer pump at the price of 400-500 but I really dont have the money for that right now.

video coming shortly.

You won't know for sure what is broken unless you disassemble the pump. It could be broken impeller ring or even a piece of the seal could be broken off.

I would take it apart. Sounds like the impeller is hitting somthing around in there. The impeller isn't broken cause it's moving water. And that dosent sound like bad bearings either. If that water around the pump is from it leaking, then yes it could be a part of the shaft seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it ok to dissasemble the pump without cutting the plumbing? trying to avoid the $100 replumbing charge from my pool guy. That way I can separate it at the green or red bolts?

there is something loose for sure because I pulled the basket out and stuck my finger in and felt like a large washer type object. I could move it around and was not attached to anything. I am trying to find a repair manual, or some kind of schematic online so I can get an idea of what it is.

Lastly, are parts still available for this type of pump? I believe it is an American Products, American Eagle II.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 193
mas985 said:
You won't know for sure what is broken unless you disassemble the pump. It could be broken impeller ring or even a piece of the seal could be broken off.
That would be the impeller ring that I was talking about.

And yes, you should be able to remove the bolts without cutting the plumbing. The motor should pull out of the back of the pump. I am not familiar with that pump but my guess is that it should be the green bolts.

cool ill do that and report back. is the ring number 10 on this diagram? I found this after searching for parts…if so does this mean I have to replace the whole impeller? I guess I will get a better idea once I take it apart. thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 2.25.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 2.25.15 PM.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 211

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For some pumps, it is a part that goes between #9(diffuser) and #10(impeller). However, in this case, it might come as part of #9 but I would take apart the pump first to make sure.

ok guys so I opened up the pump and this is what I found.

I am not sure what is what. You can see the ring that was moving around in the first picture.
My guess is that its a piece that broke off. There is also a piece that is still in the basket side of the body.
My guess is that it comes out but its solid in there, see 2nd picture.

on the other side you can see the fan like object that spins, is this the impeller?

It looks like the impeller separated. It should be covered on both sides. I would replace both the impeller and the diffuser (#9 & #10) because it is likely both were damaged.

You'll have to price it. Pool stores might have parts, but they will be more expensive. There are lots of online retailers which will be cheaper, but you'll have to wait for shipping. Hit up google and then decide how important the money/time ratio is.

I guess that didnt really answer your question. I'm leery of making a specific recommendation, but there are plenty of online sources that are fine.

well i looked around online and didn't find the parts. Called several pool companies and they said the parts are obsolete since its such an older model. I called a local pool shop that claims they can get the parts but they have to be ordered directly from the manufacturer, Pentair I think? anyway they claim its $75 dollars each for the impeller and the diffuser.

At this point I don't know if its worth to invest $150 into a pump that is obsolete...

So the alternative at this point is to get a new pump...problem is I don't know where to start with a new pump...

Should I just get the same kind a pump? the closest one I saw is the Pentair Superflo 1.5HP for about 300 dollars...

any advice?

If they are wanting that much for each part I would say get a new pump. I personally like hayward. Since you are thinking about a new pump. May want to consider a more energy efficient pump. Pentair Inteliflo or hayward ecostar. If you do this you will need 220v at the pump fyi

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.