In-floor Cleaning Valve Plumbing - Please Help Me Understand

Oct 10, 2013
Brentwood, CA
Hello to everyone and thank you for this fantastic forum,

I am a new, first time pool owner. The pool came with the house and it's ~15 years old. After removing some badly overgrown bushes yesterday I "unearthed" what appears to be the controller valve for the, in-floor cleaning system. The cleaning heads are labeled "Caretaker 99". What I'm having difficulty with is understanding the function of the 3-way valve and check valve on one of the valve's 5 outlets. Also, the stubbed "goose neck" to the left of it (see pic attached). There is a raised, spillover spa which might explain the reason for the check valve but it's still confusing to me.

Thanks for reading,
-Doug

Re: In-floor Cleaning Valve Plumbing - Please Help Me Unders

The check valve is used for spa so that when you are not using the cleaning system, the water will not just run down back into the pool. I would say the valve is when you are using the cleaning system and need more pressure for the pool you have a option to shut the spa cleaning off.

Beautiful pool by the way!

I would say the PVC that has the cap on it, is a pipe that has been cracked and was leaking and its probably plug inside the pool or spa somewhere. if its not capped I=they may have also ran a entire new line. Never know what some companies do to get more money out of people

I'm guessing that the PVC that has the check valve inline is for the spa cleaning. All others are for the pool. Let's say you are not getting much pressure out of the ones in the pool, you have a valve that you can shut the spa cleaning off. So then you would have more pressure goin to the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it should be rotating through all those zones anyway...mine does 2 at a time; I think that's pretty standard. So, if that valve were closed, then the zones next to it will get more flow as the valve rotates past that spot.

With the check valve on there, that one goes to the spa for sure. I'm just not sure why you'd want to turn it off...I guess if you decided it was clean enough you could divert that flow to the pool, but it probably wouldn't make much difference.

I am wondering if the pipe out of the 3-way that goes down is to a wall return or something in the pool and that by changing that valve you are isolating the pool completely from the spa (not sure why you would do that, but maybe?).

I don't know if this helps any but, I've diagrammed the plumbing on the equipment pad (attached) and made my best guess as to the function of each component and the goes-intas/goes-outas. The system is managed by an AquaLink RS6.

My apologies for wandering a bit OT but, any comments or corrections would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the replies,
-Doug

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.