Hi from Florida

Nov 14, 2013
Hello everyone - I am new to pool care but already have a check valve change, removed the chlorination (which appeared to be useless and insufficient to keep pool clean) and basic pool chemistry under my belt. I am confused about valve positions (have many valves with no names) and am trying to learn and label as I go. If you know where I should go to start understand what does what and why I would be grateful! This forum seems full of knowledgeable peeps... One day I will be too right? :lol:

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
One day I will be too right?
Yes, you will.

Valves and valve positions are best worked out by posting some pics. Your pics should give a clear view of the equipment, valves and then where the pipes go to. You'll get a lot of help sorting them out.

So I have infloor cleaning system, spa and waterfall... Here is a picture a little further away - tall black thing is an air booster for the spa? there was a salt chlorinator but that has been removed. I have two pumps but I don't know how the spa one is activated or may be broken?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 58
Does the hot tub overflow into the Pool?
Is the waterfall working? The second pump could be used for extra jets in spa that wouldn't work I normal filtration, or for your waterfall.
How many skimmers do you have in pool? Spa?
Is the a vacuum line in the pool?
And yes the "tall black thingy" is a blower for the hot tub

Yes the hot tub flows into the pool and it works - I turn it on or off with the lever that beside the octopus looking thing which I believe is the infloor cleaning system - which has a gauge on it but I don't know what it should read. There is only one skimmer in the pool - there are therapy jets in the spa. No vacuum line that is done through the skimmer.

Sorry Jacob meant to include pic of pool - it shows skimmer, waterfall and in the bottom of the pool you can see a pop up for the cleaning system. As you can tell am not sure of much ... But I am learning proper names ...lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 52
Ok so if you go to the pump on the right side of the pics.
1st-Follow the Pvc from the front of the pump to the 1st 3way valve, im guessing the left side is probably the main drain in the pool. (its on) whatever direction the rounded part of the valve handle is pointing that is what is off FYI. Example the first pic the in floor cleaning system is off. Second pic its on.
2nd- If you go to the right of the 1st 3way valve you get to another 3way valve. Im guessing one is for spa skimmer, and one is for pool skimmer.

if there isn't a skimmer in the spa is there a main drain? if theres a main drain, I would assume the 1st one I talked about would then be the single skimmer and the second 2 are the 2 main drains.

For the return side:
I cant tell real good from the pic but looks like theres a T before you get to the 3way valve? if so is there a valve there also?
I do agree that the cleaning system is the "spider looking thing"
the one the left of that im guessing is the spa returns cause of the check valve. which would keep the water from draining into the pool from spa when the filter is off
And assuming that there is a valve at that 1st T before the 3way valve, that's your pool returns

and yes the second pump I would say is for the spa maybe a second switch maybe labeled jets at the spa? check all breakers and make sure they are on also

Yes in the first pic floor system was off and waterfall was full on. What pressure is infloor clean supposed to be? Is it a ratio to the filter pressure? anyway this is Valve 1 (of 3) The other two valves are confusing me there are two labels barely readable but one (since labeled) is the main pool drain (1) and the other barely readable says skimmer. See my photo can you tell me what these are and how different positions affect my pool. I mean if I have the drain open will my pool empty? If I close my spa drain what happens - sorry to be dumb about this - but am not sure what 'return' means - is it returned from pool? To go thru filter? Yes I really am that dumb...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 48

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
is there a skimmer in the spa?
is there a main drain in the spa?
Main drains help with bottom circulation. They are not there just to drain the pools or spas. it wont hurt anything to leave the spa main drain off. it will just make the waterfall stronger overflowing into pool. But do keep the pool drain on for circulation in the deeper parts of the pool.

There's not such a thing as dumb questions involving pools.

With pools there are 2 sides of the plumbing. Suction side anything (that is plumbed in before the pump skimmers, Main Drains, Vac lines) and Pressure or return side which is the PVC that is coming out of the top of your pump and going into your filter. The water gets filterded then goes from the filter to your return inlets in your pool or spa ( also the cleaning system when its on)

I would say the one that isn't labeled is the spa main drain. if you turn that valve so the curved part is pointed toward that direction that should turn the spa drain off. which would cause water fall little more stronger.
ANd let say you are trying to vac the pool if you shut the pool drain off, you would get ALOT more suction through the skimmer. but when your done vacuuming turn it back on. (this is only when your manually vacuuming) not using the cleaning system. leave the drain on when you do that.

Ok no skimmer in spa - only main drain - gonna turn off the spa drain. Also if I turn off skimmer and I leave the main drain open is it true I don't have to worry about water level in the pool? Because I often have to go away for for a few days and worry that a few days of evaporation will cause the skimmer to suck air. And amazingly I found a switch on the wall that turns the spa pump on and off... I am in process of cleaning up the pool pump area - plan to put in river rocks (was full of weeds) they are in full Florida sun is there something I should do to protect from sun - like put up some shade and/or grease or coat with something to stop them from becoming brittle? Thanks for your help - I feel much more knowledgeable (read confident) now I can tell the difference between the suction and return...

yes I would recommend this if your going away for a short period of time. idk how many trees and stuff you have around your pool but be careful of it getting clogged or blocked. If your gone for a long period of time probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a professional or a neighbor with a pool to keep an eye on it. Honestly in being in Lexington, ky we typically don't have the sun baking on things like you would in florida. I don't think greasing things would help but it def wouldn't hurt to build some sort of shaded are for that area. the good thing about the valves that are on your pool, you can buy parts for them rather then having to re-plumb a lot of things.

Glad to hear that you have gained some knowledge!

Thanks Jacob - You have been very patient... I cannot tell you how many people have told me what valve is what and clearly they didn't know.... My next two tasks are getting scale off the tiles and replacing the spa light - oh and cleaning the octopus screen and building some shade from the blistering sun... A full time job - I think :)