need to close pool, pipe already frozen!!

Jul 7, 2013
Brampton, ON
hi guys,

i am in desperate need of help. this is my first year of owning a pool and i've been rather busy and next thing i know the last few days temp dropped below 0 at night and this morning my pool was frozen. I came home and luckily it was the surface that was frozen. I broke up the ice in the skimmer basket, so no damage done there. I went to turn on the pump and i found that the pipe right next to the pump is frozen (the pipe that comes from the skimmer). I tried to heat it to melt, but only a little bit worked.

The next 5 days, temp will be above 10 degree C so i'm hoping i can close it then. I bought a shop 4HP shop vac which i'm planing to use to blow out the line. Please help me here as i'm still a little confused.

I have a inground pool with 2 returns and one skimmer.

-i will balance ph level
- i will shock the pool
- i will drain water level below skimmer but slightly above return lines
- now this is my problem. Where do i plug in the shop vac to blow the line? Can i plug in where the skimmer is? Do i plug it in where i plug the pool vacuum to clean the pool or in the other hole that's closed? Also, do i put the filter in any mode when blowing the lines?

I know i have to plug the return lines with those rubber caps.

after i blow the lines and plug the return lines. i will put that gizzmo in the skimmer and put antifreezer in there. Some people said to put anti freezer in the lines also. How do i do that? where do i put the anti freezer in?

There is another skimmer near the pump, what do i do there? i know i will drain that skimmer, should i add anti freezer there as well?

Should i drain the sand filter? Also, there is a switch next to the pump which closes and open the pipe, should i close that switch?

Now what about the main drain? When i opened the pool this summer, the pool guy said i have no main drain. But in the deep end, i see a cap with holes. Also, when i put the filter in drain mode, i see that water goes down, so i'm guessing i do have a main drain. If i do, how do i blow the main drain? Where do i plug the shop vac?

I also have a compressor, if i decide to use that, where do i plug the compressor?

Here is a picture of my pump set up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jspdkmq6jf6c2f1/photo 4 copy.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7fazeahyh179vc/photo 2 copy.jpg

PLEASE HELP ME, I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP.

Typically when a pool has a main drain that is working it will have its own valve. That's why I asked how many you had. You may have a main drain cover in the deep end, but it may be plugged do to leaking and the plumbing was probably cut out.
One way you can figure out if the main drain works is to plug both skimmers and turn pump on and see if it still pulls water into the pump.
These are the steps I use and my employees use to close pools:

1st- if this is your first time and or your doing it by yourself, drain pool water right below returns.
( may be a hassle if you don't have a working main drain.)
2nd- If you have 2 working skimmers, I would recommend blowing from the furthest one away from the pump. Turn the valve in front of the pump off, and start blowing from the furthest skimmer. Water will start coming out of the other skimmer. Keep blowing until you get all the water out of that line. (may need to turn your blower on and off a couple of times)
3rd- Plug the second skimmer that you are not blowing from. Reopen the valve in front of the pump, and also mover you filter valve to Re-Circulate. this bypasses the sand filter and will make it to where you can blow out returns.

My rule of thumb is 1 gallon per skimmer at least. 3/4 in the line itself, 1/4 in skimmer after you put gizmo in. Some people say you don't need Antifreeze, but I rather spend $6 on a gallon rather than $1000 bill to replace broken pipes.

Sorry didn't answer all your questions.
Yes all plugs on the pump, filter, chlorinator, and heaters should be removed.

If the main drain does not work then your should leave all valves in the open positions. This will allow if there is water still in the pipes to go to the lowest place which the antifreeze should stop it from freezing.

Lt me know on the main drain situation. If it works or not. I will think of a way to air lock it, if it is working. Like I said before a lot easier when its on its own valve

Hey, thank u so much for replying. I don't have a main drain. Looks like they cut off plumbing.

I only have one skimmer basket in the pool and 2 return jets.

In the skimmer basket, there are 2 holes. One that is sucking water and going to the pump/filter. That's the hole I connect my pool vaccum. The other hole seems to be plugged. I wonder what would happen if I unplugged it. Hey maybe the main drain connects to that??? Any possibility?

Anyways, so I will drain the water below skimmer and then I will turn off the pump. I'll open the other skimmer near the pump and then plug in the shop vac in the pool side skimmer's hole. I will then blow the line and it shoes end at the skimmer near the pump. After that I will plug in the gizmo and put anti freezer in the skimmer basket.

Now, how do I blow the return lines? Do in have to disconnect the pipe in the filter and blow from there? Or could I just close the skimmer near the pump and then keep blowing the shop vac from the skimmer in the pool?

In your post im confused. you said you only have on skimmer but then say your going to open the other skimmer?

Keep the other hole in the skimmer plugged. This is normal.

if your doing this by yourself and it being your first time I would recommend draining below returns as long as they arnt at the bottom of the pool. You can hook up your vac hose into the skimmer and just keep a water hose going into the skimmer at a slow rate so it dosent suck in air. that way you can use your pump not a sump pump.

ah perfect. So after all lines are blown out, should i unscrew the filter to let the water drain from the filter? also, how do i put anti freezer in the return lines and skimmer pipe?

Should i put anti-freezer in the pump basket as well?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.