Automatic Valves and FreezeGuard

Mar 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
So it's my first winter with my newly built pool, and I had a question as far as getting it ready for winter.

My pump has the FreezeGuard feature that kicks on when the outside temperature hits 35 degrees. My question though is about the automatic valves that turn my spa on and off. My pool has the Pentair EasyTouch system that turns the valves for me when I hit the "SPA" button, but in pool mode the spa returns and drains are shut off completely.

From what I've read online, I need to make sure that water is running through all the pipes when the FreezeGuard is on - including both spa pipes. I've read that some automatic valves switch (from pool to spa) automatically while FreezeGuard is on, but I wasn't sure how accurate that was. Can anyone confirm/deny that? If they don't, how do I make sure that water is running through all the pipes at the same time during the winter?

Thank you!

Have you read the manual? http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/easytou ... trolUG.pdf

Pg 41
Freeze protection switches on a circuit if the outside air temperature sensor detects the temperature is getting close to freezing (below 35° F). The system will switch on all circuits that have been assigned freeze protection, and runs the circuits for 15 minutes to stop the pipes from freezing. This is especially important if there is a pool and spa combination. If freeze protection is set to both the spa and pool circuits, the filter pump switches on and the pool and spa valves alternate every 15 minutes to keep the water moving in both the pool and spa. This process continues until the freeze condition is over.

So... A bit more to the story and I'd like to get y'all's input.

While I was waiting on a response on here I called my PB and asked them the same question. They said that although the manual says to put both the pool and spa circuits on FreezeGuard, they have heard from Pentair reps that they recommend that you ONLY use the FG on the pool circuit. He said that there have been issues where the valves have gotten stuck and then not been able to switch from the spa back to the pool circuit.

Logically that doesn't make any sense to me, but he said they've done it that way for years without issue.

For those of you that have the same EasyTouch system on your pool, what do you do?

Do the valves have actuators? If so, again, the controller takes care of the valves. I am not sure why you are concerned about the valves when they should be controlled by the EasyTouch.

Also, I would not just set the valves to pool only as this leaves the spa pipe vulnerable.

But in reality, freeze protection may not really be needed. Just because the temperature drops below 32F, it doesn't mean the pipes will freeze freeze. It takes time for them to freeze and there are several factors involved:

The lowest temperature and the amount of time below 32F degrees.

Smallest pipe size on the pad. Usually the cleaner if you use a booster.

Exposure. Is equipment near the house or out in the open.

We get down to the low 20s but for less than 8 hours at a time and I never use freeze protection. It takes much lower temps or longer time periods for the pipes to freeze solid and cause damage.

However, if it is really that cold, there is little chance algae will grow anyway. So you could just shut the pump off and drain the equipment. That should be good enough until you have a chance to blow out the lines.

If by actuators you're referring to whether or not the valves are controlled via a motor as opposed to by hand - yes. They are controlled by the EasyTouch system. I don't have to manually turn any valves to start up the spa; I just click the spa button and it does everything for me.

I agree... I probably don't NEED to have the FreezeGuard on, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.