Inground Pool Closing, Maryland

flarfum25

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2013
Baltimore, MD
So I definitely should've posted this question in early October when the pool company came to close our pool since I think I might be forgetting things. Bear with me, please!

We used a different company to close our pool than we did in the spring to open it (this has been our first year in this house, first year with a pool), mainly because we bought a mesh safety cover and this company gave us the best deal and came recommended by a family member. Prior to the (very late, they say they were very backed up with orders) actual closing, I shocked the pool using the SLAM method here on the website. I'd been doing BBB for past couple months with excellent results. Since it was overcast and chilly already, my chlorine levels weren't going down much after SLAMing, even after 2 weeks (I'd have waited but they kept telling me they'd be here "any day now") were still around 10. I tested 2 days prior to them coming and got the 10 reading, so maybe a touch lower but was still not sunny and based on how slowly it was going down before that, surely couldn't have dropped much more. I had been testing with my TF100 and all levels were great at last full test, 2 weeks prior (since then I had only been testing pH and chlorine). The last results I have still in my notes were pre-SLAM, with a pH of 7.6, TA 50 and CYA 45. Basically what I'd had for the past couple months.

I remember I lowered the pH to 7.2 before SLAMing. Also remember that I passed my overnight loss test the first night, and that after SLAMing, the pool dropped chlorine extremely slowly-- a week later was still at 12 and that was with a good amount of leaves in it. We scrubbed and raked again a few more times as we waited for the pool company to get here, ugh. Was annoying, all that waiting.

Anyway, here's my question. Husband was home when they came to install the cover and close the pool and he told me they came and told him our TA was low and they needed to add 15lbs of 'alkalinity up' to bring it to proper levels for winterizing. Since my TA and pH had been pretty consistent all summer, I can't imagine why they'd need to do this. Husband ok'd it and they used some soda ash that was in our garage from the previous owners. Is 15 lbs as much as it sounds like it is? Could my TA have dropped a lot after my muriatic acid dose to get it to pH7.2? Was less than half a gallon of acid, seems like no big deal.

Basically I'm wondering if I should go take the corner of the cover off and test my water. Can't imagine I could do anything about it now regardless. I was told not to worry about checking it until Thanksgiving, and mostly just to be sure my water level isn't getting too close to the skimmer.

Sorry about the wordiness, I can't summarize worth a you-know-what. Thanks in advance,
Nicole

18Kgallon IG vinyl liner
Hayward DE 4820 filter
Baltimore MD in full sun til 5pm (in summertime)
plenty of leafy trees around

So.....yes your TA was too low. I needs to be between 80 and 120. But you have another problem. If they used soda ash instead of sodium bicarb what they managed to do is raise your PH quite a bit and your TA not so much. I would re-check your water. 15 lbs of soda ash is a heck of a lot for your size pool.

15 lbs of soda ash is a lot in an 18,000 gallon pool. It would have raised your pH about 2 pH and your TA by 95.

I would at least check the pH and see where it's at. If it's really high, I'd get a sump pump and add some acid to bring it back down.

{Sigh} Ok, thanks for the quick replies. I'll check soon and post my results. Guess just take sample about a foot below the water line in the deep end...
Wish I'd have gotten on top of this before our below freezing days! Brrr.

Are you sure it was not baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) that you had that they added? Then the amounts would make more sense. Let us know what you get for ph (and TA).

And just so we are all on the same page, tfp recommended TA levels are 70-90 ppm for a bleach chlorinated pool, although if you pool found a "happy place" where the ph was steady at a lower TA then that is good too, though we would not recommend going below 60 ppm without borate use.

I had been using baking soda for the few times I had to lower pH but the old owners left a huge tub of soda ash in the garage and that's what they came and got from my husband. It was left up by the pool after they were gone so while I didn't actually see them put it in, I can't imagine they used something different. They did put a charge on our bill for "15 lbs alkalinity up", which I disputed since they got the soda ash from my husband and even left it up there.

Also after I made my post last night, I read through my old posts and saw that my TA was in the 89-90 range previously. Once I got the hang of things with my TF100, I didn't test the TA regularly anymore since I read that as long as my pH wasn't fluctuating much (and it wasn't, I checked that regularly), I didn't have to worry about my TA as it was sort of a balancing meter. So I guess by the time I tested and got the 50 reading, I had forgotten it used to be 80-90.

Sorry for the mix ups : )

linen said:
flarfum25 said:
They did put a charge on our bill for "15 lbs alkalinity up"
If they actually did use alkalinity up, that is just baking soda...though it is too bad that it appears like that is not what they used.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I wonder if it could be that one guy came and got the soda ash and took it up to the pool and another guy (there were like 6 of them!) said, "no, no we don't want that, we want alkalinity up" and they just left the soda ash up there without telling my husband they were going to just use their own stuff. Either way, I don't feel bad about not paying for it bc I have plenty of baking soda they could've used if they'd have asked. And the company was horrible with the time stuff. Yes I understand businesses get backed up, but they didn't return any of my calls over 4 full days after the initial appointment date came and went. I started to think they took my $1200 for the pool cover and skipped town! It's a small business and they weren't returning my family members call either, who also paid a large down payment. So weird that a company would just ignore customers concerned calls. Takes a minute to explain you're backed up and will call back- people need to know what is going on. Anyway, that's another issue.

Will post results later and prob have answer on what they used when I get them...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
flarfum25 said:
oops I mean raise my pH
I had been using baking soda for the few times I had to RAISE pH
You do not use baking soda to raise ph. It only raises TA typically. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
Ok sorry, my bad. Must've used it to raise TA in the beginning or something but that was months and months ago. I never did anything with the pool without reading up here first so it's just a matter of me not remembering now. Ignore my ramblings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.