Leaving Pool Open during winter

Oct 12, 2013
This is first winter as pool owner. Previous owners kept open during winter. Anything specific I need to know on pool upkeep. Same sample schedule? Same brushing routine needed. How much time to run pump during day. The water is now 56F and I have not lost any chlorine over 3 days, using the TF-100 test kit. Is this typical for winter chlorine demand?

The pump system does have a freeze protection device that will turn pump on at specified temperature. I need to test to make sure it works before there is a true demand on it. We live in Memphis TN which will have some freezing conditons.
Thanks

Just continue normal maintenance ... you may find you do not need to test/adjust nearly as often.

Run time is up to you ... enough to make you happy with the way the pool looks.

I check mine about once a week in the winter. Just be sure and run the pump when it's freezing. Other than that, I run the pump 3 hours or so daily just to keep it skimmed and mixed.

curlytop09 said:
The water is now 56F and I have not lost any chlorine over 3 days, using the TF-100 test kit. Is this typical for winter chlorine demand?
Yes. This is what I typically experience once water temps drop below 60°F and I also keep my pool open year-round.

You have been given good advice by some of our best. Only other thing I would add is to familiarize yourself with the location of drain plugs for the pump, filter, heater (if applicable), and any that may be on the exposed plumbing. This would be a good project for the next nice warm day. In the event your pump were to quit working (which happened yesterday to someone I know), you will know where these drain plugs are and can take action without panicking.

Our freeze protection timer has a short wire coming off of it, perhaps copper, that senses the temperature to know when to kick on during cold weather. We tested it by putting it a glass of ice water and seeing in the timer kicked on, and it did. The pool guy who installed recommended keeping the sensor wire floating out away from the timer body.

Freezing rain is in forecast for end of week here. Could be 1/2" which could mean power outages, for extended time. What would I need to do to protect pool from freezing temps if we lose power. I can drain pump casing and filter. Would I need to blow lines clear.

Just keep doin' what you are doin'. Temps in the low 30's and upper 20's will not freeze your pool or pipes.

If the power goes out, you could drain the pump, filter and pipes down to ground level but that will be good enough for those temps.

Hi! I live in Memphis, TN and I leave my pool open during the winter. I use an anti-freeze control that turns my pumps on automatically when the temperature falls below the temperature I set. Unfortunately, we are going to experience an ice storm today and there is a good chance that we will lose power which means the automatic freeze control will not work. The temperature will fall to 18 degrees this evening. The highs for the next few days will be in the low to mid-30's with the lows from the low 20's to upper 20's. Having read your previous comments I will drain the pumps and filter if we lose power for more then a few hours. However, I am concerned as to whether I need to do more since your advise related to lows in the upper 20's. Your advise will be appreciated. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.