Help with extracting cracked winter plug recessed spa jet

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Hopefully the picture will help, but basically my PB (who insisted) that he winterize the pool for the 1st year close or he warranty would not be honored (yeah whatever) cracked off a "recessed" winterizing plug in one of my spa jets. He tried for about 2 hours to extract it, and failed...finally just putting a regular old plug in the hole and said he will most likely have to drain the pool (below the jet) and worry about it in the spring.

Attached is a picture...my crude drawings in red are the "recessed" plug that he is using...lord knows why he needed this special plug, but Hayward told him he did. It basically is a winter plug that is "attached" to a long (6") piece of PVC and it screws into the back threads vs. the front ones. All that is left are the threads and about 1" of the plug....it is about 2" into the walls of the jet.

Any creative ideas how to extract this...and once again hopefully others have seen this kind of plug and can help out.

[attachment=0:1d5g92sf]spa cracked plug.jpg[/attachment:1d5g92sf]

Attachments

• spa cracked plug.jpg
    spa cracked plug.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 47
Re: Help with extracting cracked winter plug recessed spa je

Hm, without draining the pool nothing immediately comes to mind. If it were drained, you could heat up a chisel (or just a piece of flat steel) to red hot, then press it into the plastic to melt a slot...then try and unscrew it that way.

The inner diameter is about 1 1/4 inches or so... he tried a spade drill bit in reverse and it just slowly ground the plastic away. I think he over tightened and snapped off the body. Not sure an easy out would bite.... plus not sure how large they make um...

The first tip might work, have to lower water in spring below jets though.

If you have access to a heat gun, apply the hot air to the fitting for a few minutes and you will be able to simply pull the fitting out with some needlenose pliers......

If no heat gun then a propane torch will work, but use more carefully.....

If the fitting is not submerged currently then you could also boil up a pot of water and pour it on the fitting area.....

Once you get it softened by heat it should come out relatively easily.....

If it is still in fact submerged, I've got nothing other than draining down until you have "dry" access to the fitting.....

Okay....my reading comprehension drops drastically after a few beers.....just re-read your original post and see that the fitting is still submerged.....in my opinion you're going to have to get it exposed to get the plug out..... :(

Yep, under water....HOWEVER, my picture is NOT IDEAL...the fitting that is broken is actually threaded. So how will a heat gun allow it to come out? I would still need to somehow unthread it ?

No. The heat should make the fitting pliable. Using needle nose pliers you should be able to grip part of the fitting and simply pull it out. It should become pliable like thick taffy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.