Baffling circuit breaker issue

nodak2

Nov 11, 2013
Hi, first time on the forum. One morning our pool pump did not come on. The circuit breaker had tripped. What I have determined is this:

After I clean the strainer baskets or any filters, etc., the timer works properly and the pump comes on. Any subsequent times after that, when the timer is supposed to come on followed by the pump, the circuit breaker trips. Has anybody else had this problem? It was driving me crazy because it would work one day, then it wouldn't for a number of days, then it work a day, etc. That's when I figured out that it works the time after I need to do something to the system, but not any times after that. Don't know if it's a pool equipment issue or an electrical issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just moved into an AZ house with a pool about 10 months ago, so still learning.

Hayward Super II Pump 1.5 HP
Hayward Swimclear cartridge filters
AutoPilot DIgital Pool Pilot
Intermatic Timer

Thanks!

I'd probably start by replacing the breaker. The inrush current from the pump coming on can be enough to trip a weak or old breaker. Probably a good time to put the pump on a GFCI breaker as well, if it isn't already on one. 2nd guess would be a problem with the pump like something binding the impeller or shaft, increasing the current being pulled by the pump when it turns on.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have come across the breaker and the binding problem with the pump in my searches. What confuses me though is how the system comes on fine without tripping the breaker after I have cleaned the basket or the filters but the second day and any days after that the breaker trips.

nodak2 said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have come across the breaker and the binding problem with the pump in my searches. What confuses me though is how the system comes on fine without tripping the breaker after I have cleaned the basket or the filters but the second day and any days after that the breaker trips.
What's changed? Hmmmm. :scratch:

After a cleaning, you start the pump with it having to prime itself. Pushing air is a lot easier than pushing water. So it could be a load problem. Experiment some.

My gut feeling is the circuit breaker, but only because I had a weak breaker once in the 220 line to my electric range. I could run two burners no problem. But try to use the third or start the oven, and nothing worked because one side tripped. The hardest part of replacing it was identifying the brand and style of breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.