conveting baquacil to Chlorine

Nov 11, 2013
I am going to convert my above ground pool from Baquacil to Chlorine next spring. I have not closed my pool yet for this year. My question is, should I not add any products and just leave it alone, cover it and start the conversion next spring?

BTW I'm a newbie to this pool stuff so you may have to dumb it down for me!

I probably would wait until spring so you don't run into time restraints. Naturally don't add any more baquacil products this year. You can convert by just killing it over and over with chlorine but there are some products out there that help along with the conversion. (back to chlor) I think it's called. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but maybe you could get away with a leaf cover on your pool to keep out large debris like leaves and let the water get green; it might help rid the pool of the of the baquacil chemicals for your spring conversion. Even if I'm wrong there I would start the conversion a few weeks before you want to open the pool. Basically just open your pool but keep your cover on and keep dosing it with chlorine since it's usually a long process.

I'd add a vote for not adding more chemicals. Add a cover as you normally would to keep out all the large items. Worry about fighting the green water next year.

Using Pool Math this would put it at about 13,500 gallons (assuming it's 4' Deep). This is enough water that it would make a conversion worth your while. If the pool were less than 10k gallons, I'd suggest draining the pool and starting over....but with your size it's more cost effective to convert.

The "green water" is in simple terms the same as if you had a major algae outbreak. It's much deeper than that.....but "dumbed down" it's good enough. The conversion is one of the hardest processes we use on TFP and will require alot of work on your part. It will use several gallons of bleach (ours used 60ish gallons of the old 182oz bottles) and it will make your pool un-useable for about 2 weeks.

With that said.....once the conversion is over you will have 100% cleaner water than you ever had, a smaller pool expense, and much more free time to enjoy the clear water. It's worth the hassle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm defiently down for the work! Tired of the baqua! My thoughts were in the spring to pull the pool down to about half to 1/4 full and convert that and then add fresh water. Was thinking it would be quicker. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.