sand in pool

Nov 11, 2013
hi, i have sand on the bottom of my pool. I thought it might be due to backwashing, it's not. I vacuumed the sand with a wet vac, the sand has slowly returned and slowly buliding up. I brush away the sand, it moves once settled. It's a hayward sand filter s244t.
I am running it with a 1hp hayward super ii pump.
I'm considering not calling a pool tech and just replacing it with a new one.
pool tech to tell me whats wrong with it 80 dollars
pool tech to return second time 80 dollars
pool tech to install new laterals with centre pipe 100 dollars
pool tech will need to change sand if changing lats 200 dollars

new filter (same one), delivered 450 dollars
change the sand over myself
total 650

not sure what to do, if problem returns would be very disappointed.
i've considered changing the laterals and sand myself, would be looking at close to 300 tops for this.
please advise, just don't want to waste the little money i do have and not fix this problem.

another option is to just leave it the way it is for as long as possible.

thankyou.

Hi, welcome to TFP! To make sure it is sand and lot dead algae, turn on the pump, hold a clean, white sock over the return. If it is sand you will collect some in the sock. Once you are sure it is sand and not dead algae, you could save a lot of time and money fixing the problem yourself. Here are a few items on the filter to check. Check that the spider gasket in the multi- port valve is in good condition and seated well. Make sure the center pipe is well seated, no chips or cracks. Check the laterals for cracks. Be very careful checking the center pipe and laterals, they can be easily broken.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.