Simple Timer with Remote?

SeanH

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2008
South Jersey
I'm looking into replacing my Intermatic dial timer with one that supports a remote control. My timer currently only runs the pump motor.

I would like to get one that can run the pump off a timer (multiple intervals) and that I can remotely operate (wireless) the pump and a pool light. Given that my pool equipment is in the far corner of my yard, I don't anticipate adding any other electrical devices to it. I would prefer something X-10 compatible, but this is not manditory.

Any recomendations or advise?

Sean

See this for what I did
http://www.troublefreepool.com/installed-an-iwave-remote-system-with-one-problem-t4891.html

It would be simplier without the thermostat and heater control, but I would really miss those functions, especially the thermostat. It's really nice to be able to turn on my pump, and check the water temp from inside. This was the cheapest way I could figure out how to do what I wanted to do, mainly to remote control the heater, without having to invent a lot of stuff.

I am in the process of adding a chlorine pump to this setup, it will be on the third timer function, and then I will be done.

Randy

randytsuch said:
See this for what I did
http://www.troublefreepool.com/installed-an-iwave-remote-system-with-one-problem-t4891.html

It would be simplier without the thermostat and heater control, but I would really miss those functions, especially the thermostat. It's really nice to be able to turn on my pump, and check the water temp from inside. This was the cheapest way I could figure out how to do what I wanted to do, mainly to remote control the heater, without having to invent a lot of stuff.

I am in the process of adding a chlorine pump to this setup, it will be on the third timer function, and then I will be done.

Randy

So to do this using Intermatic it looks like I would need the following...

P1353ME 3 Circuit Timer ($185.00)
PE650 Panel Mounted Transceiver ($145.00)
PA118 (Not sure if this is a separate Antenna or not or if it's needed) ($30.00)
PE950 Wireless Hand-Held Transceiver ($165.00)

Assuming the PE650 comes with the antenna, that's around $500. With a little price shopping I'd be down around $450.00 which is what you said in your original thread.

That's more than I was hoping to spend. My biggest hassle is where the light switch is located (behind all the pool equipment) makes it hard to turn off in the dark. I think I'd be better off (for the $$$) moving the light switch to a more convinient location...or adding a second switch if there is some code reason to have it next to the timer.

I think right now I'd rather put the $500 towards a good pool vac.

Sean

Yep, cost was around $500, probably more when you add in the cost of the conduit and enclosures that I needed.

Not worth it to move a light switch. Since my heater display was broken, and it was going to be more than $300 for a new display, it was worth it for me.

I have not used x10, I have zwave in my house, but I would think you could do x10 pretty cheaply. But, I think x10 would only really make sense if you want to use it other places too.

Otherwise, I would either move the light switch, or convert it to a three way switch, and add another one in a more convenient location. This is assuming you can run conduit to where you want the new light switch to go. HD sells all the parts for gas tight conduit.

Randy

That makes sense. I would have done the same thing faced with $300 to fix just the heater control.

I think the easiest thing for me it to do the 3-way switch to get it on the other side of my equipment where it's more accessible.

I only mention X-10 because I've used it in the past and have plenty of wirless remotes and transceivers. I'd still rather have a hard wired switch at the equipment, so that's probably the route I'll go.

Thanks for the info.

Sean

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.