More newbie questions

May 31, 2013
Virginia
How do you know if biofilms have formed? We're in the process of cleaning and setting up a neglected hot tub. I plan on using a decontam product plus a super shock afterward to be on the safe side (the hot tub was NASTY when we moved in). I'd like to know for future reference if there's a way you can tell if biofilms have formed.

And another probably silly question - as with using the BBB method for maintaining a pool, I can use household/hardware store products on my hot tub (de-icer, muriatic acid, etc)?

Eta - thought of another question: is it possible to "cheat" by bringing up the FC to a slightly higher level, say 8-10 after use, thereby reducing the need to dose to 2-3x a week. I anticipate we'd (husband and myself, on occasion our 3 kids) use the tub about twice a week.

It is hard to tell when biofilms form inside plumbing. One indicator for fairly fresh (or new) water on a heated hot tub is that it should not lose more than 25% FC in a day.

Basically you use the same products as you do in your pool, except that for chlorine tubs, we recommend starting with dichlor then moving to bleach. Read this post here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t10095.html#p80503 In that post there is also a link to a good decontamination process.

If your spa does not have an ozonator, then dosing after your soak should carry you through the middle of the week if you add enough. With an ozonator, it will be more difficult because ozone reacts with chlorine so you could have a 50% or higher daily chlorine loss in between soaks. For sure with an ozonator you wouldn't make it for a week, but twice a week is possible but on the edge. Just see how it goes.

For spa decontamination, use either Spa System Flush or Ahh-Some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.