Hayward H400FDN Heater Question - Heater won't turn on

Nov 9, 2013
I went to turn on our heater for the first time since last winter and nothing happened. The heater never tried to fire up and the display still says the heater is in standby mode and does not give any diagnostic codes or errors. Upon further inspection, at some point this summer the kepyad cover on the heater had peeled away and was open for water to enter the keypad and reach the display board. The display still powers up but there are several burnt elements on the display board. When I removed the display board connector from the IC board there was corrosion on the female piece that is soldered in to the IC board. The rest of the board looks fine.

If we're using a Pro-Logic controller to bypass the on-unit keypad, would the display board being bad keep the unit from attempting to turn on or is the IC board likely bad as well? Trying to decide what I need to purchase. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Attachments

• IC Board.JPG
    IC Board.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 82
  • display board.JPG
    display board.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 84
You also need to check the control board which is on the back inside wall of the unit. Many times when the display board goes it also takes out the other one. Look at it carefully and see if R45 is burned. If so, you will need to replace both boards and the keypad.

IDXL2DB1930 Display Board and FDXLICB1930 INTGR.CTRL.BRD.KIT FD. The second board comes with a new airflow switch and you MUST use the new one with the new board

Goolkeeper, did replacing one or both boards solve your problem? I have the same issue and question as you with the same heater, except my circuit boards look brand new with no signs of heat damage or corrosion. Just past 3 year warranty. I've always turned the heater on via my control panel (Hayward Pro Logic PL-PS-8), so it seems strange that the heater keypad I never use has caused the heater to stop responding to the Pro Logic.

Part of the programming is if the system can't see the keypad, it stops everything from working. 99% of these issues do require both boards to be replaced. If you are unsure, buy one and try it. If it comes back to life and works, you're good. If it doesn't come back to life, purchase the other board.

Part of the programming is if the system can't see the keypad, it stops everything from working. 99% of these issues do require both boards to be replaced. If you are unsure, buy one and try it. If it comes back to life and works, you're good. If it doesn't come back to life, purchase the other board.

I have a very similar problem. If I disconnect the igniter, then I do get an IO error on the display. This leads me to believe that the boards are not necessarily the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

By disconnecting the ignitor you caused the system check to error out. The system checks various components before it tries to start everything. Thus disconnecting a part will cause the system to believe something is wrong and it will throw an error code.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.