Noticing a pool leak after closing. suggestions needed

Nov 9, 2013
Hello,

Hoping somebody can help me here. I have an 18' above ground pool that (to my knowledge) had not been leaking during the summer months, judging by the level staying fairly consistent with evaporation, rain, etc. After covering it this fall (we use a mesh cover) and putting on an Aquador skimmer cover and ice pillow, I noticed after about a month, the ice pillow looking lower than it should be. I uncovered the pool and saw the level down below the skimmer and return. However, the Aquador cover had developed a crack in it, so I thought that might be some of the problem.

No such luck. I measured the water level last week with a stick, marked it, and checked again this morning. It's down abnother1" (approx) in one week's time. Since it's below the skimmer and return at this point (about 4" below the return), I'm assuming the leak is at the bottom drain or somewhere in the liner at the bottom. My question, since we now are getting into the point where the water will be freezing, is protecting the pool walls from collapsing. The cover is about 13 years old and being held by pool clips and the ice pillow in the middle. Any suggestions would be welcomed greatly!

Thanks for replying...it's not an Intex..it's an Atlantic 18', about 13+ years old, original liner. I did check around the pool itself when I first noticed the water level dropoff and there weren't any damp or wet areas anywhere around the perimeter. To give you a little more info, we did have a couple windy days here in the NE last week, so with a mesh cover, I don't know if that's a contributing factor, if at all. Also had some rain, but really not enough to make an impact.
The fact that the Aquador cover had split, I am going to "assume" that any water dropoff would start from the bottom of the skimmer cover to where it is now. Based on that, and a 6-7 week timeframe, I'd say 1"/week is accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.