Confusing TA reading

Nov 9, 2013
Hi Guys,
We have a 2 month old pool, and I did the HTH home test.

The HTH home tester claims that my alkalinity is too low (70) and when I went to a pool shop ( they sell Bioguard)
they tested the pool water and stated that TA is too high (165)??
Just want to add... I read that you are suppose to use the plastic lids when testing as mixing with your hands ( or the sweat on it) can change the reading... The pool guy used his palm to block the tube when shaking the test tubes ... could that have influenced the TA reading as well?

My question is... which test results should I trust the pool shop (bio guard) that says its to high
Or
HTH home kit that says its too low?

Welcome! :wave:

It's better to trust your own readings. And 70 TA might be just fine for you; without all the readings, it's hard to say. Do you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator? Do you have hard water? These make a difference.

Most importantly, have you read Pool School?

Welcome Corneliea! :wave:

I agree more info is needed, and perhaps a double check on your test. Not that I assume it's wrong, just making sure. As for high/low TA it is important, but it can only be changed through adjusting pH. Even so, it is not something to get too focused on as pH and especially Chlorine is where you need to focus first.

Pool School is great, but there is a ton of info there. Take a little at a time and please start with the ABC's of pool Chemistry. Don't get overwhelmed with all the info, just take a bite at a time and ask questions as you need too. We'll be glad to help. Enjoy the forums!

Thanks for the feedback so far
To answer your questions.... This is the readings that I got
FC: was betwn 1.5- 3
ph: 7.6
Alkalinity: 70
I only have a basic tester, but the pool guy said the CYA was low and Ch is a bit high 310.
No we don't have hard water, and no we don't use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator

I just want to mention that the water is perfectly clear, I am just worried about the alkalinity test that differ so much

I hope this helps

:-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.