Grill recommendations?

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
Going to buy a new grill. This one will be natural gas (I know, propane is hotter, but I want NG), and I want a NICE one. Got a bonus and going to spend money to get a good one. No Chinese junk, any recommendations?

Congrats on the bonus! :cheers:

I have a Lynx propane grill with a red brass burner and a ceramic infra-red (IR) burner. The red brass burner is good for cooking more delicate items such as chicken and fish but, turned on high, will still cook burgers with just the right amount of searing and grill marks. The ceramic IR burner will sear a steak comparable to the finest steak houses, plus it is adjustable. Many IR burners are either full-on or off. The red brass burner has a higher copper content than the more common yellow brass. Red brass is more durable and is often used in the construction industry and on heavy-duty mechanical parts. Yellow brass is used on more decorative applications. The grade of stainless steel on the Lynx is first-rate.

Other grills that have a good reputation include Twin Eagles and Fire Magic. These would be two gas grills I would also look at if I were in the market.

Regardless of brand, I would look for ceramic infra-red burners for the rotisserie and the sear burner. I have had steel infra-red burners on some past grills and they do not get as hot as the ceramic.

Been researching for one too. Have you looked at Napoleon and TEC/Sterling? My father in law has a TEC and LOVES his grill.
Scratched CalFlame of the short list - too many complaints of poor customer service
Both offer IR, I agree with the above post - ceramic of steel IR.
304 steel construction is a must.
Customer service and warranty are a must, you pay for it but you want to have good support 10+ years plus if a grate needs to be replaced, etc.
TEC/sterling sent my father-in-law a set of new $300 grates after 12 years free of charge.

TEC and Lynx are both nice, I have a Weber Summit, but it is now imported like most things unfortunately. It does cook outstanding.

I actually greatly prefer my Kamado over anything Gas, much cheaper also. I only use the Weber when I am in a rush now.

We went with Summerset. Not as expensive as TEC or Lynx however it seems to do a great job for us. We have ceramic sear burner for steaks and rear ceramic IR burner for rotisserie. Stainless steel #304. :cheers: :cheers:

Brentr, What model # summerset did you buy?
I looked at a lynx L500(low end for these guys)and a Sole yesterday, both were good and were in the $1500 range closer to where I need to be. So many grills I never heard of!

I grew up in Jax - actually orange park area.

I have an RCS with double burners. I've had mine for about a year and so far so good. Not the most expensive, but to me the most important parts are the burner design and obviously the BTU output. I've found that many more expensive grills have the exact same burners as the cheaper ones; and in some instances just plain Crud.

Take a look around Lowes...rarely is the burner different on the $250 grill and the $600 one.

To me the RCS was a nice compromise. Guy who built our outdoor kitchen got us a good discount on it and a free upgrade on the double burners.

One thing to note is that cooking with NG will take some getting used to. Longer cook times, but you will never run out of gas during a party!

Brentr said:
We went with Summerset. Not as expensive as TEC or Lynx however it seems to do a great job for us. We have ceramic sear burner for steaks and rear ceramic IR burner for rotisserie. Stainless steel #304. :cheers: :cheers:

I have a Summerset TRL 32 and absolutely love it. Have only used it 3-4 times as it was only installed recently, but have no issues with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.