Can I broadcast liquid chemicals through a porou mesh cover?

shacke

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
Philadelphia
This is the first year I am going periodically check pH and FC levels every few weeks, as I am trying to be nice to my new, dark pebbletec finish.

I assume that it would be ok to broadcast MA and liquid Cl through my meyco mesh safety cover (not solid), and then rinse it with the hose from my sump pump discharge? It's hard to remove the anchors, and it would mean a significant local dose of chemicals in one spot if I couldn't.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can I broadcast liquid chemicals through a porou mesh co

Is your pump going to be running?
If not, then you should not be adding chemicals to it, as it could still settle on the surface and fade the finish.

Not sure I would want to pour the acid through the cover either way though.

Not the main pump running, that's shut down, but a sump pump to circulate the water for the day when I add chemicals.

The reason to add through the cover would be to avoid having to open the anchors everywhere (pain in the butt task for each one of em!) and pour smaller aliquots in places, rather than one slug in one place. If I go through the cover, I could essentially broadcast like I do when the pool is open, and it would have an initial, even distribution. The pump would circulate it from there.

We do not recommend broadcasting muriatic acid or bleach into the pool at any time. We suggest it should slowly be poured in front of a return jet in the deep end. And then a quick brush where you poured does not hurt either.

I think you will end up damaging the cover if you do what you are thinking.

Thanks Jason

I'll only have a recirculating pump going, so I think I'd then have to add a little at a time near the pump. Everything else is shut down.

Are there "gentler" ways to change FC and pH in the winter in this situation? I typically don't go for more costly chemicals, but in the winter I might have to splurge if the medium is less caustic.

Not that I can think of.

Adding powders would be bad as it would just settle on the bottom and cause staining.

Could you just float some trichlor tablets under the cover? Would slowly add FC and help lower the pH. You should not need much chlorine in the winter anyway.

I am sure I can do that. The new finish was still raising the pH quickly as of closing, so I was more concerned about not having it shoot up - and stay up - all winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.