how to turn the multivalve lever thingymabob

May 31, 2013
Virginia
I need to turn the lever on my filter from "filter" to "backwash" (pressure up from addition of DE). Am I correct in 1. turning the pump off 2. pressing down on the lever and turning it clockwise?

The darn thing won't budge for anything! I even had my husband try. I don't want to break the dang thing. I assume I'll have to remove the screws, take off the top, and clean it out? :x

Is is normal when you press down on the lever for water to come out of the filter drain?

I have a firm grasp on pool chemistry, but pool mechanics is beyond me. I still don't entirely understand all the plumbing. My husband is even less mechanically inclined that I am, ha!

Just checking... you are pushing on the end of the lever and not the centre hub right?
I ask as that was what I did when the pool guy on the phone said
"Do you see the lever and valve, press it down and turn it"

I tried pressing on the middle and turning the lever like it was a child proof medicine cap. It didn't work!
With the same instruction my wife did the exact same thing, so I didn't feel too much like an idiot!

Haha! Yes, I was pressing on the end of it. I've ony had to backwash twice this summer (it's a HUUUUGE sand filter) and didn't remember it being that difficult to turn. Guess I'll have to unscrew those 2 million screws and hope I don't mess it up trying to put it back together :(

That's puzzling. The valve is usually pretty bulletproof. While it's a good idea to turn it the same way (clockwise) every time you touch it, it would be okay to try counterclockwise just enough to see it you can get it loose.

If it moves at all, I would still try to move it counter clockwise to change the mode but the little bit of opposite movement might free it and won't cause any harm.

It's a Hayward. It's also pretty new, we got it installed last spring, and our filter and motor are kept in a shed, so they've been kept out of the elements. Seems strange it would get stuck all of the sudden. I'll try turning it back and forth one more time, then we'll have to resort to taking the thing apart. I'll report back. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.