Refreshing a weathered Kool Deck

Nov 5, 2013
West Central FL
Hi,

We have a Kool Deck surfaced deck and patio. Its the light sand color. It was done new with the pool 18 years ago. We are the only owners. We've never had a problem with the deck getting too hot, even here in central FL. It hasn't chipped up or flaked off either. There are a few hairline cracks that are not even noticeable unless you are looking at them - no rising up on one side, etc.

But we never liked the texture pattern originally applied, it has too many "holes" that just trap the water and then the FL sun and humidity take over and the deck gets nearly black in some places from algae.

We've also managed to stain it, some rust stains from chairs (long gone), some paint spots from re-painting the house, some grease stains from the grills, and the patio area has taken a beating from foot and other traffic, so that the light sand color has essentially rubbed off, and where it hasn't rubbed, it looks somewhat dirty in that area.

We'd like to do something to make it look better, and put a proper "knock down" texture that won't trap so much water and thus will not cause as much algae build-up (and the re-texture would clean off easier as well). But we don't want to compromise the effectiveness of the Kool Deck.

I also do not want to get into "painting" or "coating" the deck every few years. This one looks almost new around most of the deck area, and it would be a waste to rip all that out.

Now would be the time to do something, because the dry season is here, and rain won't get in the way, and I could present my wife with a fresh pool deck for Christmas.

So what are my options? As I understand, the actual Kool Deck product can only be laid down on fresh concrete, so that seems to be out. Is there anything that can go over the existing Kool Deck to freshen it up and still keep the deck from scorching everyone's feet?

Welcome to the forum Mike! :wave:

I don't know anything about re-doing kool deck, but someone here will weigh in soon. I do know that my wife wants a 59' and I want a 60' if that's of any consequence. :)
I love em both and would take either to be honest.

Thanks Patrick. I like the late 60s myself, They had thinks like automatic climate control, disc brakes, dual master cylinder brakes, which makes driving safer, and that big 472CI engine introduced in 1968. he avatar is my 1968 DVC.

I'll wait for the experts.

Learn something new every day. I need to check out the 68' as that's my birthyear model. About all I know on the earlier models is they have FINS. Hope you get some answers you need on the kool deck soon.

I was in the same position, a badly weathered kool deck from chips to fertilizer stains. I looked at re-kool decking and stamped concrete but decided to go with veneer pavers over my kool deck. This may fall out of your "refreshen" option but worth looking into. Pavers could be lighter colored concrete, artistic pavers or travertine offer cool to walk on surface. Concrete pavers being the least. Most offer a remodeling coping too which is ideal if your kool deck was applied over the concrete coping face. The concern will be raised surface of 30cm + with steps in the pool and if you carry the pavers to patio doorways.
I found a company in Florida called TuscanyPavers that does this remodeling. They often post videos of their work on youtube.

You have mentioned algae twice as an issue. If that's the driving factor, simply keep on hand a small pump sprayer and load it with a solution of 4:1 water/chlorine mix.

Spray the kool deck each time the algae begins to appear and that issue is solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.