How to remove stuck, slightly damaged Kreepy Krauly adapter?

Jun 11, 2013
At first sight this might not look like a pool closing question but it actually is. A few years ago I bought a house with an in-ground pool and only recently I learned that there was an adapter from a Kreepy Krauly mounted into the suction pipe of my skimmer. I tried to remove it this summer but finally gave up since I was too busy with new liner install and more. Now that I want to get ready for winter I notice that a rubber plug put into the Kreepy Krauly adapter no longer closes off the pipe from the skimmer to the pump: I damaged the adapter at the top on one side and that's where the leak is. Does anyone have a good idea what tool I can use to remove the stuck adapter? I want to be certain that no water can get into the skimmer pipe in the harsh New York winter that is ahead. Appreciate your help.

Re: How to remove stuck, slightly damaged Kreepy Krauly adap

Yes, they can get stuck and it can become a pain. In the future use teflon tape on the threads to prevent the plastic to plastic "binding" and don't tighten too much. When I come across this annoying problem I have a limited amount of tools on hand. I use a 1.5 wood chisel. Make sure there is no water in the skimmer and using a torch heat the chisel so it is very hot and insert it into the middle of the fitting (don't go nuts pushing it so you don't damage skimmer threads) Once the chisel melts a little into the threads of the fitting splash water on the chisel while it is still in place to cool it off and harden the melted plastic. Now you can use the chisel for leverage to remove the fitting. Also if you want you might be able to do this with a larger chisel and you won't need to heat it up as you can just fit the chisel into the teeth on the outer edge of the fitting. (maybe a 2" chisel?)

Hello X-Pert

you actually seem to be one! Thanks a lot. I will give this a try over the weekend and let you know how it goes. Will have to get a bigger chisel also.

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi Kevin,
Thanks again for sharing your expertise! I followed your advise today and it worked out great! I deviated slightly from your instructions by not getting a wood chisel but a mason chisel when I went to homedepot. The advantage is that you can use a wrench once the chisel sits tight in the fitting (see picture). This made the removal super easy.

One thing I like to mention in case somebody else who reads this tries this, too: Besides not using too much force when you put the chisel into the fitting - as you mentioned - it is also important to not heat up the chisel too high. That's what I did at first and when I let go of the chisel to grab the water to cool it off the chisel kept sinking in and fell over. I pulled it out, let it cool off a little and then inserted it in a different spot. From then on everything was smooth. The fitting was out in seconds. Unbelievable.

Thank you so much again,
Matt

Attachments

• 2013-11-09 15.21.39.jpg
    2013-11-09 15.21.39.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 86

I'm glad it worked, Funny you should mention that masonry chisel. I recently upgraded/modified one of my tools. I have a 1.5 masonry chisel going into a 20" extension then into a ratchet. It basically looks almost exactly what you have except longer. I use that tool to tighten and loosen sp1022c (white screw plugs) into skimmers. I glued the chisel into the socket using plast-aid and so far it hasn't cracked or let go yet. Heating up metal to remove plastic stuff is pretty fun and the first time a customer sees you do it they think you are magic. I use a heated flat head screwdriver to remove broken drain plugs on motors and chlorinators. I've also learned another trick for removing nylon fittings. Nylon fittings break down and get soft so when you try to remove them with pliers it bends like rubber and the pliers slip off. I'll just take an awl or Phillips screw driver and heat that up and drive it all the way through the side of the fitting right to other side and then when it cools down i'll use the screwdriver to work the fitting out since it can't slip off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.