Leaking Sand Filter/How Should I Repair?

pjb

Jun 15, 2008
I have a sand filter that is leaking. There is a small leak on the side of the tank and it was spraying out a very fine stream of water. I found some epoxy putty at the hardware store and put that on and it slowed it down but am wondering what to do for a permanent fix for this season. I do have another filter that I plan on switching out next year. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am open to any suggestion. Thanks, Penny

I bought my house in 99 and my pool was already here with a cracked filter. The pool supply here told me it would be about $400 to replace. Being the cheap scape that i am I took the top off and fiberglassed the inside .I'm still using the same filter now. You can get a fiberglas repair kit at Lowes for about $20. Good luck R.D.

If you can apply the epoxy putty from the inside and give it a little while to set before restarting the system it will usually last for at least a couple of years.

If the filter is above the pool water level all you need to do is open the air vent on top and it will drain down. If it is below water level you need to turn off the pipes on both sides and then opening the pump strainer basket will usually drain the filter enough to open it. Most filters also have a drain valve at the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.