TA and CH After Refill

anthony

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Round Rock, Texas
Hi all,

Hope everybody is doing well.

My pool is a little over a year old. In that short period I managed to run my CYA up to approximately 160ppm using Tri-chlor tabs. After wrestling all summer with algae, I decided to empty and refill. Heavy sigh...

Post refill I'm at

0 ppm CYA (Bringing this up slowly)
150 ppm TA
160 ppm CH
65 degF Temp
7.5 pH
2.8 FC (Bleach)
0.2 CC
-0.1 CSI (per http://www.poolcalculator.com)

The TA and CH numbers make me a little bit uncomfortable because they are so far out of the orthodox range. However, the CSI looks good. I don't want to deliberately add calcium as our tap water is at about 140 ppm and should increase my CH over time. And, I think the TA will drop over time with aeration from the spillway on our SPA.

So, I'm thinking about holding where I'm at on TA and CH. What do you all think?

Thanks everybody,

-Anthony

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your post indicates a good grasp of what we teach about testing and what to do about the results. :goodjob:

With the cool season upon us, I don't think you need to do much....at least not quickly.

Tell us whether or not you intend to close the pool and we'll tailor our suggestions with that in mind.

Hi Duraleigh,

Thanks. I'm glad to have found the forum. I graduated from NC State in 94. I miss the pine trees.

Most folks here in central Texas keep their pools open. I'll do the same.

Last winter my lowest recorded water temperature was 49 degrees.

-Anthony

I graduated from NC State in 94. I miss the pine trees
Go Wolfpack!! I have a Senior in the Corps at Texas A&M and as I have learned about A&M and the proud traditions there, I have become a die hard Aggie fan but will always be a Wolfpack guy as well.

I also have a daughter at UNC but it sends a cold chill up my spine to root for Carolina Blue.......that Wolfpack training is hard to shake. :mrgreen:

I would suggest you bring the CH up to 250. Your thoughts about the refill water adding calcium are correct but in this cool season, I doubt you would add much refill.....probably rainwater will keep your pool level up or at least assist. At 160 CH, you probably won't have issues but that little bit of insurance to get to the 250-400 suggested range is a good bet.

I, too, would leave TA alone. It should drift downward a bit over the winter. Just monitor your pH regularly and keep it in the mid 7's.

I would also make a Winter Target for your CYA of around 40. The sooner you bring it up, the less FC consumption you will have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.