South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
hi, i have a wiring question. first my equipment i have pentair superflo 2-speed pump, intellichlor ic20 salt generator, Pentair Booster Pump and intellibrite 5g led lights also have no timer just 3 different switches. 1 switch for lights, 1 for booster pump and a DPDT switch for the 2-speed pump which is set for up is high, middle is off, down is low. i think my pool dealers electrician hooked up things wrong. i have been reading the manual for the salt generator and says it should be hooked to the pump so that when the pump is off salt generator is also off. that is not the case here. when my pump is off the salt generator is still on but with the no flow light on even when i turn the breaker off in fuse box for the pump. when i turn the breaker off for the pool lights then the salt generator also goes off. so then it looks like lights and salt are connected together on the same breaker. and the both pumps are together on a breaker. both pumps are 230v, lights have a transformer thats 115v and salt generator transformer is set for 115v even though it can be set for either 230v or 115v. diagram is right on the inside cover of transformer. why would the electrician not just set it for 230v and connect it with the pump like it should be? shouldn't he have just set it for 230v and connect it to the DPDT switch low speed pump setting? i have a different guy that will rewire it for me but has only done a 2-speed pump with salt generator to a timer not a DPDT switch. only diagrams we find are for timer hookup. can it be connected to the DPDT switch low setting? or should i just get a timer to make it easier? forgot to mention pool dealer or his electrician did not explain anything. didn't seem to know anything when I asked either. also both of them have been doing pools for 30+ years. needless to say i won't be dealing with them again.

The pumps should be on separate breakers as well as the lights. The main pump and the swg can be powered from the same breaker and the proper way to wire it is, as you determined, to the switch.

So what you have is a Double Pole-Double Throw-Center Off switch?
Configure the swg for 230 volt and hook power to it to the low speed terminals of the switch.

yes i have a Double Pole-Double Throw-Center Off switch. i have a switch box with 2 switches in them 1 for the booster pump, and the DPDT switch. looking at the back of both switches the DPDT the top has A1, A2. middle is L1, L2. bottom is B1, B2. looks like low speed from pump is on A2. and high speed is B1. L1 and L2 have a jumper wire and is connected to common wire from the pump and 1 wire from the breaker. booster switch top has 2 load wires and bottom has 2 line wires going the the booster pump. the other wire from the breaker has both load wires connected to it. doesn't sound right to me but it does work. breaker is a 20 Amp, 2 Pole, 120/240 Volt. i don't see how both pump would be getting 230v.

Can you post a pic of the connections. Something doesn't sound right. :scratch:

The middle terminals should be L1 & L2 (power from breaker) There should be no jumper between L1 & L2.
High Speed should be B1 & B2. Both wires to the pump should be switched. However, it's common to only switch one leg.
Low speed should be A1 & A2. Both wires to the pump should be switched. However, it's common to only switch one leg.

If they only switched one leg the other leg would tie to the second wire from the breaker.

Do the booster pump wires run all the way back to the breaker or, do they tie to the power wires from the breaker inside the switch box?

i have 3 wires from the breaker to the switch box. 2 hot and 1 copper ground. 1 hot wire to the DPDT and 1 hot wire to the booster where it has both load wires together. the picture shows switches flipped down to take to pic. left switch is booster pump and right is the DPDT. now i don't see how both pumps would get 230v. i would think they are getting 115v each. the booster pump can do 115v or 230v but is set up for 230v, the main pump only 230v. they both work without problems just doesn't sound right.

Yeah, they're getting the correct power.

Configure the swg for 230 volt and hook one leg to the incoming power where the main pump power not going through the switch is tied and hook the other leg to A1. That will allow the swg to run whenever the pump is on low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.